Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a good replacement speaker for a keyboard amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good replacement speaker for a keyboard amp?

I have an old Laney 100 watt keyboard amp with a blown speaker. The amp isn't worth much, so it needs to be affordable. I am not sure to go with a bass or PA speaker. The cab also has a piezo horn. And it needs to be 4 ohm, so that narrows it down a bit. It has a British made HH Acoustics, which I know nothing about.
    Last edited by Randall; 10-25-2019, 03:58 AM.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Solid state or tube? A SS amp will be happy with an 8 ohm speaker too.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

For keys I would choose PA rather than bass type speaker. I wouldn't want to rely exclusively on the piezo for HF.

HH was bought out by Laney, so those speakers would be their 'house brand'.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

"Solid state or tube? A SS amp will be happy with an 8 ohm speaker too. "

Interesting, it is a SS amp. AN 8 ohm speaker certainly opens up the options.

Comment

Unlike a tube amp that wants to match load impedance to the amp with the transformer, solid state amps mostly just have a lower impedance limit, like 4 ohms. Higher impedance will draw less current, the amp will work less. The higher impedance will draw less power, but it will only be a couple decibels. Speaker efficiency is also part of the formula.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I believe the Laney Keyboard Amps are solid state.

Check out this old thread - Peavey kb 100 speaker replacement.

For one of my projects, I needed a 15" replacement speaker. But you can get the Eminence Kappa A series in a 12" speaker. As G1 mentions, go for a PA speaker. You will get a wider range and have less reliance on the Tweeter. For project #1, I cut a hole and added a second Piezo. For project #2 (Peavey KB60 KB60A Speaker Replacement), it was over engineered. I used a cross over and Eminence ATP 80 compression horn.

Good luck!!
            It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Opinions on this replacement? It's 200 watts/400 watts music program, 8 ohm, so it seems like it would be OK. But the magnet looks small, does that even matter? Again this Laney amp is 100 SS watts, and came with a 4 ohm speaker.

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/074...xoCEC8QAvD_BwE

Comment

What is the model # of your amp? It's not clear if you need a 12" or 15".

If your amp uses a Piezo tweater, you can use an 8 Ω or a 4 Ω. With the 8, you will sacrifice some volume - not much.

I have used the Alpha A speakers in small PA cabinets. They do the job provided that you are NOT trying to cover every corner in an arena. If you're playing at low or moderate levels, they will work. Some of the older Peavey KB amps had similar type Eminence speakers. Back then, the magnets might have been a tad larger but I believe they had the same power ratings.
                It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

It's 15" with a piezo. I just found out it is only a band room practice amp, I am am going with this Eminence.
                  Last edited by Randall; 10-25-2019, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X