Zener Diodes to drop Heater Voltage ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickb View Post
    Indeed. I'm starting to think the result is not real.

I went back to my simulation and carefully tweaked things for better precision. There is now a small 0.2mW difference in power dissipated in the load (truncation errors) and 10.8mW in the input power, so about 0.2% rather than 2 to 3 %.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55744[/ATTACH]
    Thanks.
    Now it seems that the diodes actually take a little less power than R1. But the difference too small to justify deeper analysis.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
      Right guys! My mechanical mind (mechanics rather than pure physics) was interpreting only an addition of current loading the voltage. Which I now understand is not the case. The voltage and current sort of see-saw with a redistribution of the current. It makes sense to me now. Thank you.
      There are scenarios where loading is parallel (as 'ballast') rather than series. Sometimes for very minor tweaks (whether intentional or not), like changing the value of the 'virtual C.T.' resistors, or sometimes big power resistors from supply rail to ground to lower the supply node ("The Twin").
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
      X