deeper tremolo in silvertone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deeper tremolo in silvertone?

My tremolo is not very deep and is only audible in the last 1/3 of the depth pot. I replaced the 6au6 with another supposedly good tube, with no improvement. Would a change in r33 to a smaller value fix it? Or might something else help?
    silvertone1472.pdf
    Vote like your future depends on it.

Is C14 healthy? Is there any DC on R33?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks Enzo. this is a new build, so c14 should be ok. there is DC on R33. It is swinging between +4v to -3v

Comment

That isn't DC, that is the LFO you are seeing. Pull the 6AU6, NOW is there DC on R33?

Does R33 measure close to 1 meg?
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I just watched a utube video of a silvertone 1472. Now I'm thinking I may have wired something wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            That isn't DC, that is the LFO you are seeing. Pull the 6AU6, NOW is there DC on R33?

Does R33 measure close to 1 meg?
            R33 is almost exactly 1 meg. I'm still getting very small DC without the tube, about +&- .04v

Comment

I think I've found my error. I have R21 & R22 soldered to pin 5 of the 6v6 tubes.

Comment

Are you sure? According to the schematic the grid stops (R23, R25) are also 330k like R21, R22.?. Double check that just to be cautious.
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                  Are you sure? According to the schematic the grid stops (R23, R25) are also 330k like R21, R22.?. Double check that just to be cautious.
                  Yeah, I had it wrong. R21 & R22 should be attached to the other end of the grid stops. I had them and the grid stops attached to pin 5. I've moved them now, with no change in the shallow tremolo. Still looking for another error.

Comment

I wonder if it could be not enough resistance in my grid stoppers. The schematic shows 330k, mine are 1.7k. When I first built the amp, I left the grid stoppers off. They are not on the layout that I found on line, and they are not on the silvertone 1482 schem. which is otherwise very close to the 1472. When I decided to put them in, I chose resistors closer to the ones used in a 5e3 deluxe. I guess it's easy enough to change them, but not tonight.

Comment

Stop guessing, find out how the circuit works. Scope it. How much LFO signal is on either side of C14? Then how much at joint between R33 and R34? How much at the Trem FS, and does it vary smoothly?

R21 and R23 should not affect the amount of LFO signal unless the grids are drawing current.

Comment

I don't have a scope. Could I measure the LFO with an analogue multi meter?

Comment

I don't think you could measure it with a DMM. The modulation is slow enough that I don't think the meter would average well. Just bounce around. Plus you cannot see the wave form, which was part of the reasoning.
                          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Maybe a relative reading at the fastest trem speed.

Comment

Does your meter have a little bargraph on the display like some of the Fluke's have?
                              Originally posted by Enzo
                              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                              X