No announcement yet.

deeper tremolo in silvertone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My power has been out all day, and I still have a tree laying on my roof. Just prior to the tree falling I did something really embarrassingly stupid. I found this on another forum. "1/ Change the R40 680k resistor in serie between the oscillator plate and the trem intensity pot with a jumper.
    This should resolve most of you problem." The thread was about a Vox Cambridge trem, but the REAL problem is that Instead of jumpering the resistor I jumpered the cap. This OBVIOUSLY sent about 300v DC to the grids of the power tubes, burnt the fuse, and apparently damaged something else, because it now JUST blows fuses. Now I just don't have time to look at it.
    Vote like your future depends on it.

Comment

Blows fuses with power tubes removed?
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
        Blows fuses with power tubes removed?
        Yes, I'm done working on it for tonight. Not sure what to check when I get back to it. I do have a light bulb limiter.

Comment

"Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Maybe try replacing the rectifier tube for starters.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
              Maybe try replacing the rectifier tube for starters.
              Ok, I couldn't keep Chuck in suspense any longer. New rectifier has it back the way it was before I went EXTRA stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by dmartn149 View Post
                I found this on another forum. "1/ Change the R40 680k resistor in serie between the oscillator plate and the trem intensity pot with a jumper.
                This should resolve most of you problem." The thread was about a Vox Cambridge trem,..
                So in your amp that would be the 1M resistor feeding the 1M intensity pot. Did you try jumpering that resistor or is the amp "back the way it was" circuit wise?

If you get ample satisfaction from the jumper you might try a smaller value resistor (smaller than 1M anyway) rather than a jumper. And don't sweat the action on only the last third of the intensity pot. Pots of different tapers can be found so that can be addressed later.
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                  So in your amp that would be the 1M resistor feeding the 1M intensity pot. Did you try jumpering that resistor or is the amp "back the way it was" circuit wise?

If you get ample satisfaction from the jumper you might try a smaller value resistor (smaller than 1M anyway) rather than a jumper. And don't sweat the action on only the last third of the intensity pot. Pots of different tapers can be found so that can be addressed later.
                  Thanks Chuck. Yes jumpering that R gives plenty of trem. I'll try different R values there till I'm happy with the max. I'm not worried about the pot taper.

Comment

Working...
                  X