How safe is DeOxit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
    I don't know, it says "CAIG D5S-6-LMH DeoxIT Spray 5 oz. Original Can".
    I will advise when I receive it (I bought 2)
    Just received the Caig Deoxit.
    Yay!
    As advertised, they are the 'old' can.
    Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 10-31-2019, 02:30 PM.

Comment

A little off topic...

First, I agree that nearly every product for cleaning and lubricating pots comes out like a damn geyser. You learn to feather finger that can for sure. Sometimes, when there's finishes around like guitar or console wood finishes I'll break out the paper towels or even a 3M masking machine! (it's a painting tool) for covering areas that might get splashed. You absolutely DON'T want the stuff getting on wood finishes.

But the off topic thing is this... I have a little hand held (portable) bike tire pump with a needle filler tip on it (for rubber balls and such) that I can stick right into pots to air blast them out before spritzing (or FLOODING?) with cleaner/lubricant. I don't honestly know if it makes a difference because I've always done it this way. Just submitting it in case anyone's ever had a problem with powdered element remnant becoming mud when lubricated.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Some spray cans have adjustable spray, though my favorite pot lube Nu-Trol seems to have discontinued that recently.

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...1&d=1572572531

For Alcohol I glued a nozzle to a pump bottle - very handy.

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...1&d=1572572531
        Attached Files

Comment

Chuck. I had one of those newer tower self powered speaker thingies in with 'crackly' controls.
          Can't seem to remember the brand.
          Tried DeOxit.
          Nope.
          Called the manufacturer and he said 'believe it or not, try pressurized air'.
          Worked like a charm.
          Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 11-02-2019, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
            Chuck. I had one of those newer tower self powered speaker thingies in with 'crackly' controls.
            Can't seemto remember the brand.
            Tried DeOxit.
            Nope.
            Called the manufacturer and he said 'believe it or not, try pressurized air'.
            Worked like a charm.
            Maybe the manufacturer knew from experience that their pot elements tended to crumble into powder I don't know that it's a typical problem. It just made sense to me to blow out any dust and debris before adding liquid unless you want gravy.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

My first day at a “big” shop I was issued an ash tray and a coffee cup. I was expected to complete 8-12+ units a day so I took a lot of shortcuts and thought I was invincible. Most of the solvents we used at the time are illegal now, especially TF solvents. I made a very good living but I literally bathed in the stuff in a room with 15 or more techs chain smoking and similar environments for 25 years. I sometimes wonder how much that exposure affected my current health issues. Take whatever precautions you can... but the risk comes with the territory. Many times I have wished I had taken a different path.

Comment

My first day at a “big” shop I was issued an ash tray and a coffee cup. I was expected to complete 8-12+ units a day so I took a lot of shortcuts and thought I was invincible. Most of the solvents we used at the time are illegal now, especially TF solvents. I made a very good living but I literally bathed in the stuff in a room with 15 or more techs chain smoking and similar environments for 25 years off and on. I sometimes wonder how much that exposure affected my current health issues. Take whatever precautions you can... but the risk comes with the territory. Many times I have wished I had taken a different path.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
                  My first day at a “big” shop I was issued an ash tray and a coffee cup. I was expected to complete 8-12+ units a day so I took a lot of shortcuts and thought I was invincible. Most of the solvents we used at the time are illegal now, especially TF solvents. I made a very good living but I literally bathed in the stuff in a room with 15 or more techs chain smoking and similar environments for 25 years. I sometimes wonder how much that exposure affected my current health issues. Take whatever precautions you can... but the risk comes with the territory. Many times I have wished I had taken a different path.
                  Well life sometimes takes you wherever it takes you. This from a painting contractor. I can't even count the number of chemically compromised conditions I've been exposed to. I've been way too cavalier about writing checks that are certainly getting cashed some day. It's a different world today with more agencies looking out for occupational exposure matters. At least that's the case in developed countries. Only because guys like you and me went first and took it hard so those lessons could be learned. And I think there will be new lessons learned about our current culture and circumstances. And just like us there are young guys today that will only learn later how dangerous what they were doing was.

Comment

Yeah.. it wasn’t assembly. It was warranty or non warranty repair of consumer and professional audio and video stuff. I started with R to Rs, Umatics, time machines and al, of the other stuff. You know the early 80s VCR bonanza..

Comment

Yeah, so how safe is DeOxit? Anyone? Not how convenient.

I have been diagnosed with a very unpleasant thing, ergo my question.
                      It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post

I can't say how safe it is. Well, except to say it's not. Exposure to any solvent is bad and the symptoms and conditions list is long and varied. But here's the MSDS anyway.

https://hosatech.com/wp-content/uplo...-D5S-A_v31.pdf

Comment

Well let's see you've been provided the MSDS twice now an multiple suggestions of using a fume extractor for soldering, multiple people telling of breathing problems an having wished they'd have done something different.
                          Let's face it this is in your bones your not going to quit because this line of work is fun an intriguing.
                          So get a fume extractor an a 3 m filter mask like I use for spraying an there's not a lot more you can do.
                          BTW what were you diagnosed with?
                          Nosaj

BTW where's Juan I'm sure he's got some stories or background, haven't seen him for a while.
                          soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                            Well let's see you've been provided the MSDS twice now an multiple suggestions of using a fume extractor for soldering, multiple people telling of breathing problems an having wished they'd have done something different.
                            Let's face it this is in your bones your not going to quit because this line of work is fun an intriguing.
                            So get a fume extractor an a 3 m filter mask like I use for spraying an there's not a lot more you can do.
                            This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BTW what were you diagnosed with?
                            This too^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BTW where's Juan I'm sure he's got some stories or background, haven't seen him for a while.
                            I know we haven't heard from him as much in the general areas and discussions. So I checked on his activity a week or two ago and it looks like he's still checking in and there was a post of his something like a week before that. So I figure he's still here. Just cooled off a little. I think I remember reading that he'd be pretty busy right now for some reason? So maybe that's all it is. And yes. He would almost certainly have some insight on this.

Comment

Sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with something. I myself have had a couple of scares recently.

I can't comment on DeOxit directly, I can just offer a method to try and avoid any hazards in the first instance.

Some people have mentioned fume extractors, however I believe directly venting through a window is the most effective method where possible. Simply open the window, mount a flat panel with hole cut for a flat-mounted fan, and power it up. Try and make sure your work is between you and the fan obviously. This way you get everything out the window before it can get anywhere near you, as you constantly have a gentle breeze passing you. Further still, some round foil A/C duct placed in close proximity to your work area and connected to the fan would increase the velocity of the removed air. I know these methods may not be as practical in the middle of winter, as you're jettisoning some of your nice warm air you paid to heat.

You'd need an open door, or to be pulling from a large area, to avoid hindering airflow (i.e. to avoid pulling a slight vacuum in your work space which would lower the efficiency).

Just a thought.

Comment

Yeah, so how safe is DeOxit? Anyone?
                                Why not show the MSDS to your doctor?
                                I wouldn't expect to find a real health expert around here.
                                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                                X