Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
    Why not show the MSDS to your doctor?
    I wouldn't expect to find a real health expert around here.
    To be fair it's becoming harder to find a real health expert among doctors! Ok, not THAT bad, but worse than it should be. I think Randall is looking for info from anyone that may already be suffering health related issues as a result of exposure?
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
      Yeah, so how safe is DeOxit? Anyone? Not how convenient.
      How safe is it?
      The MSDS rates the Health hazard as 1.
      Other than the 'trade secret ingredients', the only issue that I see is the Naphtha.

Comment

"I think Randall is looking for info from anyone that may already be suffering health related issues as a result of exposure? "

Something like that, thank you.

I am aware of the MSDS claims as well as Caig's own claims about product safety, but I have my suspicions. Tobacco products were safe until they weren't, too. I am aware of fume extractors, but the fact is I have never used one at any of my employers, nor at my own bench over the last 35 years. I am not inclined to disclose my own health details on an internet forum, but I will say that ONE of the known causes of my condition is chemical exposure. I am looking more for anecdotal information or experiences on the subject. When I look down and my hands are covered in DeOxit because the damn lid is leaking, I have to wonder how much of this stuff have I absorbed over the years, and has it contributed to my health issues.

I grew up in my grandfather's garage. We siphoned gas thru a hose by mouth, and washed parts in a gasoline tank with no gloves all the time, breathed paint fumes, and asbestos brake dust. Then for a couple of years when I was 20 I worked in a metal plating factory where I was exposed to every dangerous chemical you can think of before OSHA came along. So, I wonder about that as well, but that was 40 years ago. And when I see myself covered in DeOxit, I wonder.
        It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

"I think Randall is looking for info from anyone that may already be suffering health related issues as a result of exposure? "

Something like that, thank you.

I am aware of the MSDS claims as well as Caig's own claims about product safety, but I have my suspicions. Tobacco products were safe until they weren't, too. I am aware of fume extractors, but the fact is I have never used one at any of my employers, nor at my own bench over the last 35 years. I am not inclined to disclose my own health details on an internet forum, but I will say that ONE of the known causes of my condition is chemical exposure. I am looking more for anecdotal information or experiences on the subject. When I look down and my hands are covered in DeOxit because the damn lid is leaking, I have to wonder how much of this stuff have I absorbed over the years, and has it contributed to my health issues.

I grew up in my grandfather's garage. We siphoned gas thru a hose by mouth, and washed parts in a gasoline tank with no gloves all the time, breathed paint fumes, and asbestos brake dust. Then for a couple of years when I was 20 I worked in a metal plating factory where I was exposed to every dangerous chemical you can think of before OSHA came along. So, I wonder about that as well, but that was 40 years ago. And when I see myself covered in DeOxit, I wonder.
          Well it sucks, but it's time to pay the Piper. Go to the old folks s home an see the guys with emphysema, can't get much worse than that. But I will say if you are looking for a settlement kind of thing you may well wish to quit conversing on a public forum about it.
          And regardless of never having used a fume extractor get one unless you are quitting this job. No excuse not to since most MSDS papers regarding aresols say to use adequate ventilation.
          Nosaj
          soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

A lot of the damage caused by solvents has to do with what the solvents can pass through otherwise un-penetrable membranes (often metals) and are cumulative. So there's no expiration date on such exposures.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

When I look down and my hands are covered in DeOxit because the damn lid is leaking, I have to wonder how much of this stuff have I absorbed over the years, and has it contributed to my health issues.

I grew up in my grandfather's garage. We siphoned gas thru a hose by mouth, and washed parts in a gasoline tank with no gloves all the time, breathed paint fumes, and asbestos brake dust.
              I know what you mean. Diesel and WD40 is not supposed to be used as hand cleaner, but that's how we did it.

Aside from the fume extractor issue that has been addressed, I'm trying to force myself to use mechanics gloves for the automotive type stuff, and getting more used to the loss of touch sensitivity. If I were starting over with electronics, I'd also be using latex/rubber gloves or whatever it is they use in the big industrial electronics places.
              Once you've dealt with your lungs and your hands, I don't think there's much more you can do.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Not too sure why you localizing on the DeOxit.
                Again.
                MSDS: Health Hazard: 1
                Skin Exposure: may cause Dermatitis.
                Where thin gloves.

I would be more worried about the lead in the solder.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                  I would be more worried about the lead in the solder.
                  +1 to this. Especially considering the frequency of the issues. How much time do we spend breathing solder fumes compared to wiping cleaner off our hands due to faulty seals?

Comment

"Well it sucks, but it's time to pay the Piper. Go to the old folks s home an see the guys with emphysema, can't get much worse than that. But I will say if you are looking for a settlement kind of thing you may well wish to quit conversing on a public forum about it.
                    And regardless of never having used a fume extractor get one unless you are quitting this job. No excuse not to since most MSDS papers regarding aresols say to use adequate ventilation.
                    Nosaj "

I'm not looking for a settlement, but thanks anyway for your compassion and sage advice.
                    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                      +1 to this. Especially considering the frequency of the issues. How much time do we spend breathing solder fumes compared to wiping cleaner off our hands due to faulty seals?
                      When I looked into the lead hazard, it was mainly down to skin contact leading to ingestion; inhaled lead in the solder fume seemed a non-hazard, rather the issue with fume was occupational asthma, mainly from rosin but a little from other fluxes.
                      The control measure for lead is to use barrier cream and wash hands before eating, using toilet, smoking etc (re-apply barrier cream before resuming activity).
                      For the fume it's to choose the lowest hazard flux suitable for the task, and use (effective) extraction/filtering, preferably tip extraction, in a well ventilated room.

Occupational asthma may not sound like a big deal, but once sensitised to such an allergen, reactions can be significant, and make further exposure unacceptable. Which for us would be a very big deal
                      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

"Well it sucks, but it's time to pay the Piper. Go to the old folks s home an see the guys with emphysema, can't get much worse than that. But I will say if you are looking for a settlement kind of thing you may well wish to quit conversing on a public forum about it.
                        Nosaj "

I'm not looking for a settlement, but thanks anyway for your compassion and sage advice.
                        You're welcome. Compassion has never been a strong suite for me, especially if you ask my wife.
                        Nosaj
                        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I worked in the hot metal days of the newspaper industry. Lead was everywhere and it was planed, sawn, cast and handled all day long. In addition there was a lot of mineral oil used so the lead dust got right into your skin. When sunlight beamed through the roof lights you could see the dust glistening in the air. No gloves, no extraction, no barrier cream. The Union organized blood tests and the only contaminant at a critical level was found to be antimony, used to harden type metal and modify contraction rates. Some of the workers were laid off until their level got low enough, but no lead toxicity was declared. It makes me wonder just how much metallic lead you'd have to handle for it to become a health issue, unless there was some complacency in the industry so as not to destabilize the hot-metal process and lead to job losses through movement to new technology (which happened anyhow). Job losses aren't necessarily good for Union coffers.

Comment

Working...
                          X