How do I determine when my Deluxe Reverb was manufactiured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I determine when my Deluxe Reverb was manufactiured

My silverface deluxe reverb has both a ch2 volume push pull and an internsity knob push pull.

How do I determine how old the amp is , ie what date was it manufactured ?

Volume pull boost? Available between 77-81. I'm going to guess the Fender logo has a small "Made In USA" underneath? For the Intensity pull knob, see Mr. P Bass's response to your other thread.

Justin
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Look at date codes on the transformers, pots, and other larger parts.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

My Silverface twin reverb has a number stamped in the rear plate of the chassis.
        Use this site : http://www.superiormusic.com/page195.htm to date the chassis.

Comment

Originally posted by strato56 View Post
          My Silverface twin reverb has a number stamped in the rear plate of the chassis.
          Use this site : http://www.superiormusic.com/page195.htm to date the chassis.
          Also inside the power supply 'doghouse', you'll find date codes on those large electrolytic caps. On some removed Mallory parts from that area, I read 7937D and 8038A. This translates to 1979, 37th week of the year, and 1980, 38th week of the year. The Japanese caps and/or Illiinois caps generally won't have date codes, but the earlier US vendor caps do.
          Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

The stamp on back of chassis is A995206 which makes it 1979 according to the superiormusic link meantioned above by Strato56

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
              Also inside the power supply 'doghouse', you'll find date codes on those large electrolytic caps. On some removed Mallory parts from that area, I read 7937D and 8038A. This translates to 1979, 37th week of the year, and 1980, 38th week of the year. The Japanese caps and/or Illiinois caps generally won't have date codes, but the earlier US vendor caps do.
              I usually use the transformers/chokes, as I don't have to remove anything. Since the date codes are basically standard across all manufacturers, I don't have to cross reference anything, unless I come across a manufacturer code I don't recognize. Vintage caps are good for this as well.
              If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Unfortunately capacitors and potentiometers are bought in bulk...in advance...of production schedules, so those code-dates only indicate that the final product was built/assembled sometime AFTER those code-dates...which could be anything from a week to years later (CBS/Fender was still using pre-1965 components almost into 1970). The on-chassis stamp-code dates are most accurate.
                ...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

Comment

Originally posted by Old Tele man View Post
                  Unfortunately capacitors and potentiometers are bought in bulk...in advance...of production schedules, so those code-dates only indicate that the final product was built/assembled sometime AFTER those code-dates...which could be anything from a week to years later (CBS/Fender was still using pre-1965 components almost into 1970). The on-chassis stamp-code dates are most accurate.
                  This is not the case with transformers, however. If you look at the codes on the power transformers, output transformers, chokes, and reverb transformers, they are often within a couple of weeks to a maybe a couple of months of manufacture from each other. With the amount of models sharing the same part numbers, you would never see that kind of consistency if they held onto that kind of stock (transformers, and other magnetics) for any more than six months or so. In fact, it would make no sense financially for them to do so.

Originally posted by Old Tele man View Post
                  ...so those code-dates only indicate that the final product was built/assembled sometime AFTER those code-dates.
                  can't argue with that logic

But, I agree. The on chassis code is most accurate if you were going to look it up.
                  Last edited by SoulFetish; 11-07-2019, 04:11 AM.
                  If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Just my personal view, of course, but to me the age is one of those things amp fans and new owners dwell upon. Amp fans are what I call guys who can tell you what month the knobs changed from 25 grooves to 26 grooves around the center post, that sort of thing. What year they used 5-0-5 knobs on EQ. And if they need to know day and month, more power to them. But the average Joe who asks how can he tell the age of his amp, averaging all the date codes he can spot in there is close enough.

Condition means way more than age.

In my view...
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                      Amp fans are what I call guys who can tell you what month the knobs changed from 25 grooves to 26 grooves around the center post, that sort of thing.
                      dude, that is so true.

Comment

Don't get me wrong. I get it and I'm not being critical. There are collectors and a collector market out there. But, for me, an amp is simply a tool.
                        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I had a Vibrolux Reverb in here recently that had '66 and '65 OT and PT' date codes, '78 chassis serial no., '2008 ink stamp inside the chassis next to the PT, and '2008 choke and reverb codes. It also had pre and post CBS front and back plates, I forget which was which. Cab was stamped 2005, and speakers were either '64 or '74. So tell what year this amp is again?
                          It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

I'd call it a 78 that had the trannies replaced so it could be truly blackfaced and then sat dor a week in a flooded basement so the cab & speakers were all replaced. The Reverb tranny just smoked because of because xrap breaks.

Justin
                            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
                              I had a Vibrolux Reverb in here recently that had '66 and '65 OT and PT' date codes, '78 chassis serial no., '2008 ink stamp inside the chassis next to the PT, and '2008 choke and reverb codes. It also had pre and post CBS front and back plates, I forget which was which. Cab was stamped 2005, and speakers were either '64 or '74. So tell what year this amp is again?
                              I don't think you would, or could identify this amp as any particular vintage (year). One can only speculate as to why the parts build was put together like this, although there are some likely scenarios -- fire, flood, etc. Salvaging what they could with what was affordable and available, probably from other salvaged amps suffering some other(or similar) catastrophe.
                              But if one were to sell it, they would probably have to describe it just as you have, Randall. Maybe starting with what best describes the circuit the current amp is based off of.

Comment

Working...
                              X