Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modifying 1979 Silveface Deluxe reverb to Blackface vintage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok. Good info. But why then call them "68" or make them look like a 68 if there's any potential for negative association? Is it like a Smuckers thing? "With a name like Smuckers, it HAS to be good."
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Off Topic:

I think first to differentiate from the regular 65 reissues (the 68s are also made in Mexico). Also, what other Fender cosmetics are readily recognized as easily? Most players wouldn't know the difference anyway... They don't care about circuits. Anyway, there's lots of sentimental/nostalgia reasons.

And I think we all need to face the fact that SF Fenders have performed and recorded a lot more great muzak than their BF counterparts. I for one prefer a SF amp, especially the Bassmans. Then again I'm not afraid to wind them up, either...

But I do see a lot more aporeciation for SF amps now. The snobbery is being dispelled and with the plethora of kits available the urge to hackmod a SF isn't as strong. Once you understand they're just "different" then it gets pretty easy to make good tuneskies come out. Granted, they don't have as nice a LOOK as an earlier Fender, but that is the least of my concerns.

Justin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        Ok. Good info. But why then call them "68" or make them look like a 68 if there's any potential for negative association? Is it like a Smuckers thing? "With a name like Smuckers, it HAS to be good."
        I'm bothered by this too. Some of the mods - no big deal. But the way Fender joins channels to send both to reverb & vibrato - brrrr.... they just glom the plates together. A pair of mixing resistors would go over big right here. C'mon Fender, whattheheck?
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
        X