Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fender deluxe reverb bad mixer tube ssocket I think ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fender deluxe reverb bad mixer tube ssocket I think ?

I get loud poppping sounds when I touch to mixer 12AX7 (V4). I have swapped out various 12AX7s with varying results. Some pop, some cause the amp to be dead, others seem to work somewhat. I doubt that all tubes I am using for the test are all bad. I am assuming that the varying results are caused by how each tube sits in the socket or how the particular component at that socket is acting at the time of each test, ie wiggled, not wiggled etc.

Assuming I need a new tube socket or some comonent attached to the socket what should by MO be to fix the issue ?

And if it is the socket does it matter where I get a new one, ie what quality etc. The amp has been modded so I dont really care much if the socket doesnt match the 1979 silverface standard.

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried re soldering the existing socket? With lots of tube rolling (swapping out tubes) it's possible the socket is fatigued, but maybe not. Nothing to lose in trying. Also, with extensive modification there may be something like a wire strand on one of the pin connections that's shorting to another pin? The actual socket pin positions do sort of jostle around with the tube pin alignment.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thanks Chuck PNW

I just pulled the head (again) and checked out the socket. Good news is that there isnt much going on there. No components attached, just wires.

With the tube in the socket I touched each pin slightly and some have movement, some dont. I checked other tubes and the norm seems to be that touching a pin shouldnt make it wiggle at all, ie they are firm. Im guessing I have a bad socket. They are dark brown in color.

So what do you think Chuck, bad socket ?

Can I get those brown sockets most anywhere ?

Comment

Like I said, with a lot of tube swapping the socket may be fatigued. You could try to re-tension it, but a new socket may be in your future. To re-tension the pin holes you need a pointy tipped prong of some kind. Like a dental pick. Put on your strongest reading specs or double up. Look into the socket holes. You'll see the walls of the spring cups in there. Use the pick to nudge them back in toward center. Again, nothing to lose. At the very least it may get you through until a new socket arrives.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Thanks Chuck,

Im just going to change the socket and not rely on a repair. Pretty sure its bad. New one on order. I checked all the connections and the soldering is pristene.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveChet View Post
            Thanks Chuck,

Im just going to change the socket and not rely on a repair. Pretty sure its bad. New one on order. I checked all the connections and the soldering is pristene.
            Right-o. On a related subject, as one guy who likes to tube roll to another, be gentle with newer amps that use board mounted sockets. I had a Mesa amp and after much tube rolling I managed to lift a couple of pads from the board. Granted, those amps are prone to this, but I've read about it here happening to other amps that have board mounted sockets.

Comment

Successfully replaced V4 mix tube socket. Socket was underneath the pot/push-pull combo switch that was added for the FX mod so sort of close quarters. No more static or loud noises now when tapping any tube or the chassis.

Broke some wires in the process and didnt write down where one wire came from so I had to redraw the fx loop circuitry and find where it went.

Incidently the tube socket I used doesnt have as robust a locking tab that holds the metal cap on. Maybe I need to buld it up wit solder ?

Thanks for all help.

Comment

Working...
              X