What is one KT66 doing in a EL34 amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is one KT66 doing in a EL34 amp?

I have a Tamerlane model 1733 boutique amp head that came in for a broken KT66. What did you say, one KT66? The power amp runs a pair of EL34s, and the customer says the builder told him it doesn't much matter what KT66 you choose, it won't change the tone of the amp. He said it is "a filter". It is a simple amp with gain/vol/bass/treble, 3 preamp tubes, pair of EL34s, and a KT66 where you would expect a rectifier tube to be.

What on earth could this be for? I don't have any more info than that, because the builder buried two of the four chassis mount screws way deep in the back behind the two transformers making it way too much trouble to figure out how to remove them just to take a peak. He must have something special to get to those screws, maybe he doesn't want anyone like myself taking a look?
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

I think Gibson had a model that used a 6V6 as a regulator? I doubt that's what's going on in that amp. Possibly it's running single ended on a resistive load and then feeding signal to the PI?

I'd open that sucker up.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

The 400PS comes to mind, using a 6L6 to drive a transformer that drove the hase inverter pr something like that... But that's gpt like 8 6550s. Seems a little odd to me too. Tuts! Guts! We're curious!

Justin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

According to Tamerlane's facebook page:

The Model 1733 is HERE! This is a single ended CLASS A amplifier with Tube Voltage Rectification and Tube Voltage REGULATION!!

Then again he also had a 1733 on Reverb that had EL-84s, so maybe everything is a 1733 to him.

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
          According to Tamerlane's facebook page:

The Model 1733 is HERE! This is a single ended CLASS A amplifier with Tube Voltage Rectification and Tube Voltage REGULATION!!

Then again he also had a 1733 on Reverb that had EL-84s, so maybe everything is a 1733 to him.
          Well 1 behind 7 could imply 7-1. Which is 6. Then there's 3 and 3, or 3+3 which is 6. Add all the numbers together and you get 14. 14/2.33 is 6. That's 666

Ok, 2.33 doesn't really fit in there, but my point is, and Randall might agree, this is Satan's amp!

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

What I could see on the FlarkBloot page made me think ummmmm... That's... Interesting... The combo had 2 speakers one behind the other cockeyed at a weird angle. And what looked like a 6V6 & a 6550!

Justin
            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Power tubes can be pressed into service as regulators. I had an old signal generator that used a 6L6 as a regulator.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                Power tubes can be pressed into service as regulators. I had an old signal generator that used a 6L6 as a regulator.
                Yep. Like the old Gibson I mentioned. I was really green when I saw that schematic and it simultaneously confused and intrigued me. At this point in my game I'm wondering what tonal advantage regulation offers a guitar amp.?. And then what advantage is there in doing it with a power tube. It seems to me that Tamerlane might just be using odd tube circuits that are superfluous to the goal of guitar amps simply because they can rather than because they should. Maybe it's a "hipster" guitar amp. The stuff that's already been working is "too main stream" and I simply "don't get it."

Comment

...and a KT66 looks impressive while a cheap 6L6 would do just as well (as would a power MOSFET).
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I'd use one of those 0_3 or 4 doodads. They look fricking awesome when they're working - Glow Supreme! I remember looking in the back of a Leslie that had 2 KT88s & one of them voltage regs. I found the 88s entirely boring.

Jusrin

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                      What I could see on the FlarkBloot page made me think ummmmm... That's... Interesting... The combo had 2 speakers one behind the other cockeyed at a weird angle.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	1733 speakers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	855959

Comment

^^^^^ THAT. What the craptoaster?

Justin

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]55836[/ATTACH]

Every cog in my head just ground to a stop. I'd love to hear the designer explain his reasoning and theory on whatever he believes he's accomplished there.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post

Every cog in my head just ground to a stop. I'd love to hear the designer explain his reasoning and theory on whatever he believes he's accomplished there.
                            Holy Spicolli!!!

nosaj
                            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Holy Spicolli!!!
                              Did you mean "spiciolli" (italian for small coins)?
                              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                              X