Thread: What is one KT66 doing in a EL34 amp?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 524/0
    Given: 95/0

What is one KT66 doing in a EL34 amp?

I have a Tamerlane model 1733 boutique amp head that came in for a broken KT66. What did you say, one KT66? The power amp runs a pair of EL34s, and the customer says the builder told him it doesn't much matter what KT66 you choose, it won't change the tone of the amp. He said it is "a filter". It is a simple amp with gain/vol/bass/treble, 3 preamp tubes, pair of EL34s, and a KT66 where you would expect a rectifier tube to be.

What on earth could this be for? I don't have any more info than that, because the builder buried two of the four chassis mount screws way deep in the back behind the two transformers making it way too much trouble to figure out how to remove them just to take a peak. He must have something special to get to those screws, maybe he doesn't want anyone like myself taking a look?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,307/4
    Given: 2,665/0
    I think Gibson had a model that used a 6V6 as a regulator? I doubt that's what's going on in that amp. Possibly it's running single ended on a resistive load and then feeding signal to the PI?

I'd open that sucker up.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Never bet your life on somebody else doing their job." SoulFetish's good friend

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

"Back to the amp. It makes horrible sounds when I play my guitar thru it... because I suck at playing guitar." Mike6158

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 672/6
    Given: 1,299/9
    The 400PS comes to mind, using a 6L6 to drive a transformer that drove the hase inverter pr something like that... But that's gpt like 8 6550s. Seems a little odd to me too. Tuts! Guts! We're curious!

Justin

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 226/1
    Given: 101/2
    According to Tamerlane's facebook page:

The Model 1733 is HERE! This is a single ended CLASS A amplifier with Tube Voltage Rectification and Tube Voltage REGULATION!!

Then again he also had a 1733 on Reverb that had EL-84s, so maybe everything is a 1733 to him.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by glebert View Post
    According to Tamerlane's facebook page:

The Model 1733 is HERE! This is a single ended CLASS A amplifier with Tube Voltage Rectification and Tube Voltage REGULATION!!

Then again he also had a 1733 on Reverb that had EL-84s, so maybe everything is a 1733 to him.
    Well 1 behind 7 could imply 7-1. Which is 6. Then there's 3 and 3, or 3+3 which is 6. Add all the numbers together and you get 14. 14/2.33 is 6. That's 666

Ok, 2.33 doesn't really fit in there, but my point is, and Randall might agree, this is Satan's amp!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Never bet your life on somebody else doing their job." SoulFetish's good friend

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

"Back to the amp. It makes horrible sounds when I play my guitar thru it... because I suck at playing guitar." Mike6158

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    What I could see on the FlarkBloot page made me think ummmmm... That's... Interesting... The combo had 2 speakers one behind the other cockeyed at a weird angle. And what looked like a 6V6 & a 6550!

Justin

"Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 178/0
    Given: 20/0
    Power tubes can be pressed into service as regulators. I had an old signal generator that used a 6L6 as a regulator.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Bailey View Post
    Power tubes can be pressed into service as regulators. I had an old signal generator that used a 6L6 as a regulator.
    Yep. Like the old Gibson I mentioned. I was really green when I saw that schematic and it simultaneously confused and intrigued me. At this point in my game I'm wondering what tonal advantage regulation offers a guitar amp.?. And then what advantage is there in doing it with a power tube. It seems to me that Tamerlane might just be using odd tube circuits that are superfluous to the goal of guitar amps simply because they can rather than because they should. Maybe it's a "hipster" guitar amp. The stuff that's already been working is "too main stream" and I simply "don't get it."

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,703/1
    Given: 969/2
    ...and a KT66 looks impressive while a cheap 6L6 would do just as well (as would a power MOSFET).

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    - Own Opinions Only -

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    I'd use one of those 0_3 or 4 doodads. They look fricking awesome when they're working - Glow Supreme! I remember looking in the back of a Leslie that had 2 KT88s & one of them voltage regs. I found the 88s entirely boring.

Jusrin

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 536/4
    Given: 285/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Thomas View Post
    What I could see on the FlarkBloot page made me think ummmmm... That's... Interesting... The combo had 2 speakers one behind the other cockeyed at a weird angle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1733 speakers.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	55836

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    ^^^^^ THAT. What the craptoaster?

Justin

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1733 speakers.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	55836

Every cog in my head just ground to a stop. I'd love to hear the designer explain his reasoning and theory on whatever he believes he's accomplished there.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,093/102
    Given: 146/35
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post

Every cog in my head just ground to a stop. I'd love to hear the designer explain his reasoning and theory on whatever he believes he's accomplished there.
    Holy Spicolli!!!

nosaj

Binkie McFartnuggets‏:If we really wanted to know the meaning of life we would have fed Stephen Hawking shrooms a long time ago.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Holy Spicolli!!!
    Did you mean "spiciolli" (italian for small coins)?

- Own Opinions Only -

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmholtz View Post
    Did you mean "spiciolli" (italian for small coins)?
    No Spicolli was a character in fast times at ridgemont high. Surfer dude played by Sean Penn.

Nosaj

Binkie McFartnuggets‏:If we really wanted to know the meaning of life we would have fed Stephen Hawking shrooms a long time ago.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Pretty sure he meant something else.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spicoli1.PNG 
Views:	73 
Size:	770.1 KB 
ID:	55838  

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Oh, Jeff Spicoli. (Not really familiar with US movies, I am).

- Own Opinions Only -

Thumbs Up/Down
    Either way... He misspelled it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Either way... He misspelled it.

Hey man we're not trying to run the world here or anything like that. 😎
    Nosaj

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Sorry for asking.

I think I am doing quite well with plain English, but there are numerous posts I simply don't understand. Especially those containing misspellings or "cool" colloquial or would-be technical abbreviatons, where Google often is of no help. In those cases I mostly decide to ignore the post instead of bothering to ask.

- Own Opinions Only -

"Thermionic Apocalypse" -JT nickb's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 757/1
    Given: 599/1
    Well 1 behind 7 could imply 7-1. Which is 6. Then there's 3 and 3, or 3+3 which is 6. Add all the numbers together and you get 14. 14/2.33 is 6. That's 666

Ok, 2.33 doesn't really fit in there, but my point is, and Randall might agree, this is Satan's amp!
    Oh there's more.. let's apply the rules of occult numerology (adding adjacent pairs)
    1733 -> 1+7, 7+3, 3+3 -> 8, 10, 6 -> 18, 6. Now 18 is THREE SIXES!!! The spare 6 goes with the KT66 to give THREE SIXES again..

Be afraid, be very afraid.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by nickb; 11-02-2019 at 01:06 AM.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,603/23
    Given: 4,088/11
    there are numerous posts I simply don't understand. Especially those containing misspellings or "cool" colloquial or would-be technical abbreviatons, where Google often is of no help. In those cases I mostly decide to ignore the post instead of bothering to ask.
    I think the proper German spelling might be 'Kuhl'.
    I do end up having to consult the 'urban dictionary' for some of the more modern colloquialisms.

Just because they don't have tubes doesn't mean they don't have feelings! - glebert

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by g1 View Post
    I do end up having to consult the 'urban dictionary' for some of the more modern colloquialisms.
    Fo shizzle

Uh,.. Ok, that's too old. How about "totes"

I have to consult UD sometimes too.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    I think the proper German spelling might be 'Kuhl'.
    Sure.
    What I meant was, while it may seem cool to use hip (internet slang) abbreviations, it creates additional barriers and potential misunderstandings. Abbreviations are always language and/or culture specific. I sometimes use the 'urban dictionary', but generally expect posters asking for advice to make sure they are well understood. Otherwise (and especially if my technical questions are not answered) I tend to lose interest.

Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-02-2019 at 12:30 AM.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Thumbs Up/Down
    ...but generally expect posters asking for advice to make sure they are well understood.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tenor.gif 
Views:	1 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	55843  

Last edited by Chuck H; 11-02-2019 at 01:03 AM.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down

Attachment doesn't show.

- Own Opinions Only -

Thread Information