Crate TV60 Bad Output Transformer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate TV60 Bad Output Transformer?

Received this Crate TV60 with no tubes and told that it may have a bad OT.

With all OT wires disconnected, on primary I have continuity from center tap to outer legs, reading 70 ohms and 90 ohms. Across both outer legs I cannot get a reading. The meter readout keeps jumping. I thought I would see the sum of the 70 and 90 ohms.

Secondary looks okay on resistance readings.

I also noticed that F5 is blown. F6 is okay.

I have attached schematic. I do not think this amp is worth putting money into but I wanted to see if I can bring it back to operation as I have nothing else to work on right now.

Thoughts on issues? Thank you

Click image for larger version

Name:	CrateTV-60pg15-3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	876072 Click image for larger version

Name:	crate_OT.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	876073

I have a DMM that jumps when taking readings as you describe. In my case its noise being picked up by the windings. I also get it with some pickups with the same meter. Even if you get readings that add up you could still have a shorted turn and this is not detectable with a DMM. You either have to use the 'neon trick' or get hold of a ring tester that essentially does the same thing in a more fancy way. Transformer failures aren't at the top of my list when I'm looking for a fault, but when they are defective a shorted turn is quite common.

The OT has flyback protection diodes so that's reassuring. It could have just had a shorted output tube on the side where the fuse had blown.

Comment

Thanks so far. It looks like I am missing some of the schematic. I do not see any output tubes on the one I have.

Comment

The reason for the measuring artefacts is the high primary inductance (full primary has 4 times the inductance of a primary half) and the counter EMF generated when connecting the meter. (I could explain in more detail if someone cares.) It is actually a good sign showing that there are most likely are no shorted turns and that the winding is not open.

Just short the secondary while measuring primary DCR to facilitate a stable reading.
        Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-03-2019, 12:33 PM.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Here is the TV-120 schematic.
          TV-120 Schematic.pdf.zip
          It may help.

Comment

Interesting. Not sure I have seen a circuit where each output tube has its own fused protection. Help me understand what is the general concept here. Thank you

Comment

The power tube cathodes are fused. It helps prevent a bad tube from damaging other components, like screen resistors, or in worst case, transformers.
              The Marshall JCM900 series had them mounted on the rear panel, with indicator lights showing that a power tube fuse had blown.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                Just short the secondary while measuring primary DCR to facilitate a stable reading.
                That worked!

Comment

That is what I always did, facing this.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                    That is what I always did, facing this.
                    Sure, the method is obvious to anybody who understands transformer (and meters).
                    Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-05-2019, 01:48 PM.
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                    X