Need Schematic for Splawn Quick Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Schematic for Splawn Quick Rod

As the title says, looking for a schematic for the Splawn Quick Rod. I need the early version with only 3 12AX7 tubes. I have the newer version schematic with 4, but not the same. Someone has gotten into this thing and made a mess of it doing mods. The customer wants it back to original.

FWIW: I contacted Splawn. They said they do not even have schematics. I call bullshit. Who builds amps without schematics? If you don't want to release schematics, just say so. Don't tell me you don't have them.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
    FWIW: I contacted Splawn. They said they do not even have schematics. I call bullshit. Who builds amps without schematics? If you don't want to release schematics, just say so. Don't tell me you don't have them.
    Dude, we just had a Splawn in last week. Same thing. We called up, and he said he never made any drawings (schematics) of the amps. We thought the same thing. I call bullshit too.
    You're trying to tell me you designed 2-3 PCBs with Eagle or some 'board house software, but didn't bother to make any schematics??
    ...to check them against?
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Are either of these helpful?

https://elektrotanya.com/splawn_quic.../download.html

http://schems.com/bmampscom/splawn/S...Schematic2.pdf

Comment

Well (no thanks to Splawn) I figured out the amp anyway, so no rush on finding a schematic. Someone had decided to turn the "SOLO" footswitch into a switch for the "EFFECTS LOOP". They had cut traces, removed resistors, glued a relay to the loop board, and other fun messes. I got it all back to right with just some common sense and thinking about what I might do if I were going to modify the amp for this purpose. Everything works as it should now.

A little kicker at the end of the repair, though. I had very little clean channel volume. Traced out all the LDR's trying to figure out if something wasn't switching right. Everything was switching correctly, but I noticed that when the clean channel is switched to the PI circuit, some of the controls for the OD channel were still in line. Turned up the OD gain and the clean channel was nice and loud. Chased this around for a while thinking there was a problem. After a little web research, it turns out the early Quick Rods worked this way. The overdrive channel gain also drives the clean channel. A bit odd, IMO.

Comment

Thanks Tom, but both of those are the 4 12AX7 versions. It's deceiving because they don't show the PI in some of those schematics. I do appreciate the effort, though!

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
            As the title says, looking for a schematic for the Splawn Quick Rod. I need the early version with only 3 12AX7 tubes. I have the newer version schematic with 4, but not the same. Someone has gotten into this thing and made a mess of it doing mods. The customer wants it back to original.

do you mean there is only the gain channel,not the clean one?
            i have a Competition schem ,it should be like what you have,can you post a couple pics of the preamp part?

Comment

Originally posted by alexradium View Post
              do you mean there is only the gain channel,not the clean one?
              i have a Competition schem ,it should be like what you have,can you post a couple pics of the preamp part?
              The amp has already left the shop. There are/were 2 channels- a clean channel and a dirty channel. The dirty channel also had a more/less drive switch, so kinda sorta 3 channels. The gain knob was grouped with the overdrive channel controls, but also controlled the clean channel gain. Sort of odd, I thought. However, through gain structuring, the gain knob did not provide as much overdrive to the clean channel as it did to the dirty channel. I hope that makes sense. If not, I'm happy to elaborate.

Comment

Working...
              X