Thread: Pickup swap from hell.....

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 178/0
    Given: 20/0

Pickup swap from hell.....

I've just had an '69 335 in for a pickup swap and it's taken an unbelievable amount of time and effort due to the knobs being epoxied onto the pots. Who the hell thinks that was a good idea? That's a real trap for the next guy (which happened to be me). Pretty much a full day just to remove the knobs without breaking them or damaging the rather fragile finish, and two hours to restore the plastic bosses so they can be refitted. Am I glad to see the back of that one.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,307/4
    Given: 2,665/0
    I don't care what vintage or how collectible a guitar is. If the knobs were epoxied to the pot shafts I would put some reasonable effort into trying to crack the knob off and then tell the customer that the knobs and pots were going to need replacement. Then I would destroy the knobs rather than spend "a full day" saving them (without even knowing if it was going to take longer). If the customer bought the guitar then they could take it up with the seller. If they, themselves did the epoxy work then it's just come uppins. You could probably buy actual vintage pot and knob pulls for the cost of a days labor and save yourself the effort.

Glad you managed it though because you clearly wanted to keep this instrument original very badly.

EDIT: Can we assume that the "pickup swap" did not devalue the vintage originality of the instrument? I'm just wondering how much value was preserved by the extra effort on the knobs.?.

Last edited by Chuck H; 11-10-2019 at 01:38 PM.
    "Never bet your life on somebody else doing their job." SoulFetish's good friend

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

"Back to the amp. It makes horrible sounds when I play my guitar thru it... because I suck at playing guitar." Mike6158

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 178/0
    Given: 20/0
    Original knobs are fairly pricey in the UK - something like 200 and often needing to be imported from the USA. A better bet would be just to fit new, but the customer wanted to retain the originals. The guitar was bought quite a long time ago in the 90s, so no seller comeback. I think I let a battle of wills get the better of me. My usual MO would be to saw down the side of the knob and crack off the remnants, but the guitar has celebrity history so I guess that's part of the reason to keep it intact. Apart form the pickups, which are too microphonic for live use but rather than do anything with them they'll be wrapped up and kept with the guitar so the next guy can decide what to do.

Financially I'd have been better off delivering pizzas.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,307/4
    Given: 2,665/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Bailey View Post
    Financially I'd have been better off delivering pizzas.
    Well that's certainly the case with every amp I've built The upside is the experience and the right to say you did it I guess.

"I remember when I worked on (insert celebrity name)'s guitar..."

"Never bet your life on somebody else doing their job." SoulFetish's good friend

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

"Back to the amp. It makes horrible sounds when I play my guitar thru it... because I suck at playing guitar." Mike6158

Thread Information