Thread: Odd readings from coil

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 10/0

Odd readings from coil

I am rewinding a Schecter coil tapped pickup and some strange things are happening. First of all Iím getting inconsistent readings from this 43awg spn wire I ordered from Remington. I wind to a set amount of turns expecting a certain DCR but getting a reading much lower. The last attempt I wound and measured the wire before taking the bobbin off the winder. It read 5.7k. After assembling the pickup Iím back to a lower reading (4.2k)
    Ok, hereís the weird bit. Iím measuring back and forth between the three lugs on the bobbin and decide to clip the start of the second coil (which is attached to the end of the first coil) to see if it is interfering in some way with the first coil. After clipping the wire IíM STILL GETTING A READING FROM THE SECOND COIL! Exact same DCR reading. How could there be a connection between these seemingly separate coils? Itís jobs like these where one needs to stop and go to bed and start again tomorrow. If anyone has any theories (paranormal or otherwise) Iím all ears.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AF0C259C-6F35-482A-8101-4F9E8C37DF01.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	55929

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Woodgrinder/Pickupwinder copperheadroads's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 40/1
    Given: 41/0
    The outer 43 gauge is shorted to the inner coil or just several shorts in the 43 gauge .I have had some very strange readings with 43 gauge wire . but it is usually cause I've stretched the wire & there is a high reading OR stretched so much it cause a short in the coil causing a low reading .

"UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks. That must be it. Iíve been careful not to stretch it and Iím usually good down to 44awg but maybe somethings up with my technique. I've gone from felt back to fingers. Mostly because I havenít found a felt I like. And my tension jig was giving me trouble.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 54/0
    Given: 25/0
    Piano rebuilders have good wool felt that won't melt. You can order strips or washers in various thicknesses off ebay. A strip of soft felt to dampen strings while tuning is probably a good bet. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Piano-tunin...O/362813264051

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Woodgrinder/Pickupwinder copperheadroads's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 40/1
    Given: 41/0
    Hey David i have a spool of wire that kind of dry when i'm winding (It kind of squeaks as it goes through the felt tensioner) & the result is a tighter coil than i'd like. i was thinking about adding some lube to the felt .

"UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by David King View Post
    Piano rebuilders have good wool felt that won't melt. You can order strips or washers in various thicknesses off ebay. A strip of soft felt to dampen strings while tuning is probably a good bet. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Piano-tunin...O/362813264051
    that's actually really helpful, thanks!

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    I'd apply some natural lube to the felt, perhaps just mineral oil (3 in 1) to start with. Boeing makes a bike chain lube that's basically a dry wax in a fast evaporating liquid. Johnson's wax is petroleum based but it's super slick, you just don't want something that will attack your insulation over time. I'm not sure how you would know that without long term testing but perhaps there's a pure silicone lube that would be just fine.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    I figured there must be easy answers to the and sure enough the MWS site has the following among it's FAQs:
    What type of lubricant goes onto the wire surface?
    A lubricant is applied to film coated magnet wire to ensure compact winding and ease of de-reeling for the user. Lubricants commonly used are very dilute solutions of paraffin wax or mineral oil in a volatile solvent. Isoparaffinic fluids have also been used in certain applications. Without the application of lubricant the winding on the spool may be Ďspongyí or become tangled and difficult to de-reel. However, special orders can be manufactured without lube on request.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thread Information