Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source for Cliff Stack-Jack Ampeg PreampOut/Pwr Amp IN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for Cliff Stack-Jack Ampeg PreampOut/Pwr Amp IN?

After installing the new J/J KT-88 Power Tubes into an Ampeg SVT-CL, having robbed it of it's Sovtek 6550 to use in the Fender Super Bassman, I discovered the upper Preamp OUtput jack on the rear panel was broken, while the lower Power Amp Input jack is ok. Ampeg P/N 39-125-01. I've narrowed it down to the Cliff S2S style stack jacks, as the centers are 19.0mm (the other is 16mm centers). Upper Jack non-switching, lower jack is Switching (normal's the upper jack source to the Normal contact of the lower jack, interrupts with insertion of plug).

So far, I've not found any parts house stocking these. Also, haven't yet contacted Yamaha to try to get past their defenses preventing non-service center people from buying such a part.

I thought I had some photos of that power amp PCB to add more detail in the parts search. Schematic designations are J3A, J3B. I haven't yet called Antique Electronic to see if they can order the part. Studio Sound Electronics didn't show it in their lineup of hard-to-find jacks.

JackSocketsS2S.pdf
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
    Also, haven't yet contacted Yamaha to try to get past their defenses preventing non-service center people from buying such a part.
    Amp Parts Direct carry some Cliff jacks, worth a look. You might get lucky. I hope so!

https://shop.amppartsdirect.com/Cliff_c67.htm

If you do tangle with Yamaha let us know how it works out. Funny thing, their Artistes' Reps were very persistent in having me link them to "artistes" in my touring days. However, supply parts? Oh noes! Perish the thought! Hevvins forfend! Not even for the rock star's equipment. I developed an attitude: you don't help me Yamaha, I don't help you. Don't take it personally Yamaha, it's my corporate policy. Get with the program, or get lost. Who knows, maybe they've lightened up since than. I hope so.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
      Amp Parts Direct carry some Cliff jacks, worth a look. You might get lucky. I hope so!

https://shop.amppartsdirect.com/Cliff_c67.htm

If you do tangle with Yamaha let us know how it works out. Funny thing, their Artistes' Reps were very persistent in having me link them to "artistes" in my touring days. However, supply parts? Oh noes! Perish the thought! Hevvins forfend! Not even for the rock star's equipment. I developed an attitude: you don't help me Yamaha, I don't help you. Don't take it personally Yamaha, it's my corporate policy. Get with the program, or get lost. Who knows, maybe they've lightened up since than. I hope so.
      I didn't get anywhere with Yamaha....not being an authorized service center, but, after calling up their list on their website, I found Valley Sound Musical Products still listed....Stretch's company in Burbank. I took over for him when I was working at Westlake Recording Studios in West LA in the mid 2000's, and he has a couple of those jacks on hand, and CAN order more thru Yamaha. So that's in the works.

I spoke with Seth at Antique Electronic Supply / CE Distribution in Arizona yesterday, and it turned out they weren't able to assist me on that, even though they are a Cliff distributor. Wasn't able to contact Studio Sound Electronics.
      Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Yamaha was always sticky about the term "Authorized". Even as a warranty center, I was not allowed to say Authorized. I can advertise "We do warranty repair". But we were not allowed to suggest we were in any way a part of Yamaha, the company.

meanwhile, it was easy enough to sign on with them. Basically I filled out a credit app for an account. I could then order any parts at their wholesale price (Which was often not cheap) I still have access to their service web site. Used to be I had to buy their manuals for my shop, at $10-15 each. But now even the old ones are scanned in and I can just download the whole manuals. And for my money, the Yamaha service manuals are about as good as it gets. Test procedures, disassembly procedures, parts blowups and lists, schematics, etc. After I left the music store, oh, 25 years ago, I wound up doing a LOT less keyboard work. And so didn't do many warranty claims for Yamaha after that.

I cannot pick on Yamaha for selling parts only through dealers. Lots of companies won't even do that. They are not in the retail parts business. If you want access to the Yamaha parts organization, sign up.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X