Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korg Keybed felts

Hello folks,
    I know keyboards are not the forte' of this forum, however I have to think some of the techs here work on them. I have 2 Korg keyboards with the RH3 or 4 keybed (one us 77key & the other is 88).

The felt that dampens the key weight on the downward keystroke (the weight moves upward on the downward keystroke) has become NLA and I'm looking for a source or someone who has found a solution perhaps using a felt from something else.

I found on PartsIsParts.com the Yamaha felt but it is too tall (15mm). the original is 10mm x 7mm. The 7mm dimension could also be 10mm but the 10mm height is crucial for interaction with the aftertouch pad under the front of the key. 5mm difference would upset the key travel and make the playability too drastic a change to be of any use.

The part number in question is in the PartIsParts.com site as 510500506601. According to the dude there, there is no ETA. I have an sample felt coming from a felt mfg, but won't know if the weight of the felt will be compatible until I receive it. I'm skeptical as the density of the felt has to be just right to dampen the weight while at the same time not being too hard or too soft. The original is actually about 3 layers of differing felt densities.

So, if anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx, Glen Whatley - Mars Amp Repair - Nampa, ID.

Hey, Bro...

You have any piano tuners/repairers/restorers near you? They may have some felts or give you some sources.

When I was active, a lot of the Korg keyboards were made by Yamaha. No secret, the circuit boards for the contacts still said Yamaha right on them. I used to stock DX7 heys for my Korg customers. I used to buy my Korg keybed parts from Yamaha as they were cheaper. I did have a selection of felts, but do not know if I still have any. I know I found felts somewhere, because I used to replace them in Kurzweil keybeds. The counterweights would clatter when teh felts wore out.

I know you want to match what was there. But if memory serves, is it OK to have the whole length consistent, even if a little more or less stiff than original?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Amp Repair View Post
      Hello folks,
      I know keyboards are not the forte' of this forum, however I have to think some of the techs here work on them. I have 2 Korg keyboards with the RH3 or 4 keybed (one us 77key & the other is 88).

The felt that dampens the key weight on the downward keystroke (the weight moves upward on the downward keystroke) has become NLA and I'm looking for a source or someone who has found a solution perhaps using a felt from something else.

I found on PartsIsParts.com the Yamaha felt but it is too tall (15mm). the original is 10mm x 7mm. The 7mm dimension could also be 10mm but the 10mm height is crucial for interaction with the aftertouch pad under the front of the key. 5mm difference would upset the key travel and make the playability too drastic a change to be of any use.

The part number in question is in the PartIsParts.com site as 510500506601. According to the dude there, there is no ETA. I have an sample felt coming from a felt mfg, but won't know if the weight of the felt will be compatible until I receive it. I'm skeptical as the density of the felt has to be just right to dampen the weight while at the same time not being too hard or too soft. The original is actually about 3 layers of differing felt densities.

So, if anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx, Glen Whatley - Mars Amp Repair - Nampa, ID.
      See if Vintage Vibe canhelp you.https://www.vintagevibe.com/
      nosaj
      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Thanx Enzo...
        Guess I'll have to get some service lit for the Yamaha's to see what models use the same keybeds.
        I'm working with a felt MFG right now to see if they can supply anything that might be an acceptable substitute. They sent a sample that was correct dimensions but to squishy. I believe it really needs to be actually felt not polyester as they sent.
        I agree that for the SV-1 the height could be close as long as it's consistent across the keybed. If the after touch is an issue in the Kronos, then they'll just have to live with that as the original felt strip seems is becoming unobtainable.
        Thanx for the input...g

Comment

Google piano felts. I just did, and first thing I found was this:
          https://www.howardpianoindustries.co...leather-parts/

Just one of many...
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I checked that out. Thanx for the tip. We used to fix the old Wurlitzer pianos which had similar felts to regular pianos. Nothing really compatible there, tho.
            I'm sending this fellow at the felt joint a small sample from the Korg to see if they can get close to emulating its density. I'm not concerned with the upper two layers on the original as if this felt is really unobtainable, some settling for' better than nothing' will suffice.
            Thanx again, Glen

Comment

Working...
            X