Weird double branded speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird double branded speakers

A 1965 Vibrolux Reverb came in today with odd double branding. There are Weber stickers on the blue hotdog frames labeling them 10F150 dated 12/2013, but also with Chicago made Fender branded Jensen stickers on the magnets. What in the world? I emailed Weber, but I'm not sure if I will get an answer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	521.4 KB
ID:	876093
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Perhaps a Weber recone of the original speaker?
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Could be a recone as The Dude says, or someone put those stickers on a Weber. Is the 220XXX Jenson date code on the frame? If not, it might be a Weber with stickers.

Comment

Or Weber sold the Fender speakers to the guy, and stuck their sticker on it. Just like when you buy a car, the dealer often puts a decal on the car
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

There is no date code or Jensen model on the frame. In fact there is nothing on the frame but blue paint.

Comment

That is a most bizarre (and ugly) colour combination. Never seen that before.
            It sure looks like the Weber 10F150 basket. I wonder if he ran out of magnets on a run and got some from Fender.
            Fender with that magnet/backplate/sticker always uses black basket. Any other speaker with that blue basket always uses silver backplate with different sticker.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

MAy I suggest, for quick answers from Weber - or most anyone - CALL them on the phone.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Weber will recone any speaker into one of their own, too. If you have an old burned out speaker they'll recone it to something of theirs that is close, just reusing the original basket, frame, whatever. I bet it was a blown Fender-branded whatever that Weber remade as one of theirs, probably the closest equivalent to the original...

Justin
                "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

I would have thought the same, but they would have had to re-paint the basket blue, and I can't see why they would.
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Isn't the bit with the Fender sticker just a cover? Could somebody have swapped the cover (backplate?) from the original speaker onto this Weber just to make the amp look more original?

Comment

I don't think it is a cover or backplate, to my understanding it is the magnet. I know I am certainly not going to try to pry it up to see.

Comment

I believe he's talking about just the tan sticker. It's only a paper sticker.

Comment

Sticker is just paper, but the metal plate it is stuck on is the pole piece of the magnet assembly.

Comment

^^^^^^ Yes, that. You don't want to try removing anything but the sticker or you'll destroy the speaker (if one didn't want the sticker).

Comment

Yes, I was talking about the magnet backplate (black). Fender only uses that with black baskets.

Comment

Working...
                              X