No announcement yet.

Weird double branded speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was responding to glebert in post #10 regarding swapping a cover (backplate), which I don't think is the case here. But if it is a Fender sticker applied to a Weber speaker, two things. First the Fender sticker has a small hole in the center which would expose the Weber sticker unless somebody went to great lengths to remove the Weber sticker (also the Fender sticker appears to be smaller in diameter than the Weber sticker, further exposing it). And second, where does one obtain a made in Chicago Jensen/Fender sticker when these Jensens were ceased to be made in the late 60's I think? Seems like an inordinate amount of effort to disguise a blue/green basket speaker.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Backplate and removable cover are 2 different things. The 'backplate' is essentially part of the polepiece, like Enzo said.
      I would normally just call the whole assembly stuck onto the basket the magnet, but my point is about this particular polepiece being black as opposed to silver. This sticker is part of this magnet assy. as far as I'm concerned.

I don't want to keep going on about this, so I'll add a little incentive to keep it interesting.
      I have a $50 (CDN, sorry ) reward if anyone can find me evidence of a standard production speaker that uses this 'hotdog' style basket in BLUE with a magnet that has a BLACK backplate/polepiece. It's just not done, the backplate is always silver.
      My guess is this was some one-off custom order or limited production run because they did not have silver backplates available. Or some other weird situation. But no one would ever approve of this colour combination for standard production. My guess is Weber needed some (magnet assy's) in a pinch or got a crazy deal on them.

Prove me wrong.

Click image for larger version

Name:	speaker_1.png
Views:	1
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	856056
      Last edited by g1; 11-16-2019, 08:18 PM. Reason: add diagram
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

How do they sound?
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

That picture doesn't show the color well because of the lighting, but it doesn't look like the regular Jensen blue. Which was darker and tended to go a little green with age yellowing. And still lighter and lower in chroma than current Jensen speakers. Weber blue baskets look a little deeper too, but I'm thinking maybe it's the lighting. As far as I can tell Weber never painted the plates on their magnets. But Jensen did. Lots of black magnet plates on Jensens. I'll wager 6 beer PNW those labels are the reproductions from Reverb (dot) com. They look a little too stylized in color to be actual vintage. The only image I found of that label on an older speaker was more burgundy and had more sheen to the finish. I think those repro stickers are made to "look" vintage-y.

It's my opinion that those speakers are Weber builds on Weber baskets using Jensen magnets (probably from the speakers that USE TO be in there) and then someone stuck repro stickers on them.

In which case they probably sound just fine. But let us know anyway.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

To me it seems clear that these speakers are not original/ OEM. They don't have the Jensen frame code and everything looks too new. Jensen and Oxford ceramics from the era had black frames and backplates. Also the magnet looks too big. I vote for fake stickers. Maybe Weber used black backplates at some time.
            Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-16-2019, 10:39 PM.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

As far as how they sound, I didn't really crank them up. And also, I am unable to play much these days, I have multiple problems with my left hand. If they are both working, all good as far as I am concerned.
              It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Before anyone tries to claim the reward with this one, it doesn't count (not 'hotdog').

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fender_ToneMaster_Lifestyle_6680-1030x687.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	856057
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                X