Gallien-Krueger Backline 600 crackling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallien-Krueger Backline 600 crackling

Hi all, I've got a Backline 600 that's giving me some nasty crackling and noise, which sometimes goes away after the amp warms up, even without the preamp board connected at all - meaning it's the power amp or power supply. Scoping the power supply rails, there's a bit of ripple on the +-60v but nothing that matches the crackling at the output. Power supply seems fine otherwise; +-60v are nearly exact, +-35v and +-15v are within 10%, and no detectable noise on any of them. Bias is set correctly too.

Noise at the output is ~100mvP-P, and crackling can be up to 5vP-P, maybe higher (hard to catch on my analog scope). I can see the noise when I probe Q14/18 base and emitter (perhaps it's coming from Q7A/Q7B, hmm...). Once the amp warms up enough to stop crackling (somewhere around 40°C or ~100°f), noise at the output is around 1mv. Amp delivers plenty of power even while crackling, and fan turns on and off properly.

Here's the schematic for the power amp section:gallien-krueger-backline-600.pdf. Didn't bother with preamp, since it's completely disconnected for my testing. Haven't pulled the board out yet so I haven't checked for cold solder joints. Previous owner told me that a "resistor" had blasted apart, and indeed there was a small chunk of something rattling around in the amp, but that something looked like the plastic/rubber/whatever coating from an NTC thermistor, though the two in this amp aren't "blasted apart", and the amp wouldn't function at all without them. No signs of anything burnt or scorched at all (though again, I haven't flipped the board - will tomorrow).

Any thoughts? I'm more used to things with tubes in them.

Do you have any freeze spray?
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
      Do you have any freeze spray?
      Not on hand, unfortunately. No canned air either to turn upside down.

Got it partially sorted now. When I flipped the board earlier today I found a cold solder joint on the bottom on one of the 0.1Ω 1w resistors. I get occasional crackling (as in 2-3 times over the last hour), but that's far better than the constant crackling and noise it had before.

I'll update the thread if I find anything else.

*edit* I touched the oscilloscope probe to the emitter of Q7A and the crackling that was happening at the time stopped. Hasn't come back at all over 2 hours playing with multiple power/heat/cooldown cycles. Weird.
      Last edited by fluffy; 11-20-2019, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X