Hot Rod Deluxe - oscillating reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rod Deluxe - oscillating reverb

Hi all, got an old (1997) HRD on my bench at the moment. Everything is now working properly except now turning up the reverb control to anything beyond "off" is causing high pitched oscillation. The frequency drops slightly as I turn up the control.

Any idea what this could be? It does it regardless of whether or not it's connected to a speaker or dummy load.

Originally posted by DFuller View Post
    Hi all, got an old (1997) HRD on my bench at the moment. Everything is now working properly except now turning up the reverb control to anything beyond "off" is causing high pitched oscillation. The frequency drops slightly as I turn up the control.

Any idea what this could be? It does it regardless of whether or not it's connected to a speaker or dummy load.
    Check the ground connection on the reverb return cable at the tank. Check all of the RCA plugs for that matter.

Also check the internal wiring of the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
      Check the ground connection on the reverb return cable at the tank. Check all of the RCA plugs for that matter.

Also check the internal wiring of the tank.
      Ah, good shout. I'll take a look.

Comment

If the ground connections all check out, check the +/- voltages on pins 4 and 8 of the drive/recovery IC(s).
        But this kind of thing can happen as a result of problems within the reverb tank itself. It's always handy to stock some of the common types for replacement. If you have any with a high-ish input impedance (≈600Ω +), you can check very quickly to see if it's the tank or not.
        If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

I figure I should let you all know what happened. This got put on the back burner for a bit as I had a bitch of a Krank to deal with. It was, as far as I could tell, a dirty jack on the tank. Unplugging and replugging fixed it.

Comment

Working...
          X