Randall MTS module volume difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randall MTS module volume difference

I have a Randall MTS with a volume difference where the owner considers the Deluxe module is lower in overall output than the Top Boost or SL Plus. It doesn't actually seem too bad to me - just a difference where the level knobs need to be set to get equal volume. So with the Deluxe module the level would need to be set to 8.5 where the others are set to around 5 (other controls being set the same).

The transistors and optocouplers check out OK and the tubes have been recently swapped.

Is anyone more familiar with thee amps and is this normal? It just seems to me to be the same kind of thing where customers complain that "my mate's amp is on 4 and blows your head off but I need to set mine to 7 for the same volume and they're both 100W"

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
    I have a Randall MTS with a volume difference where the owner considers the Deluxe module is lower in overall output than the Top Boost or SL Plus. It doesn't actually seem too bad to me - just a difference where the level knobs need to be set to get equal volume. So with the Deluxe module the level would need to be set to 8.5 where the others are set to around 5 (other controls being set the same).

The transistors and optocouplers check out OK and the tubes have been recently swapped.

Is anyone more familiar with thee amps and is this normal? It just seems to me to be the same kind of thing where customers complain that "my mate's amp is on 4 and blows your head off but I need to set mine to 7 for the same volume and they're both 100W"
    yes,the last one,never understood why people are afraid to turn knobs....
    one reason can be because of the different topology,the BF module has more loss after the tonestack than a Vox/Marshall and there is a big attenuation between 2nd and 3rd stage,while the british ones are more straight forward.

Comment

I wondered if there was an internal level compensation somewhere to even things out, but taking a look at some of the schematics for the modules agrees with what you'e saying - the topology is fairly consistent with the original amps and this accounts for the differences. If the gain control is raised with the Deluxe to give a similar saturation to the SL+, then the level controls pretty much agree and the volume is consistent when switching channels. I'm as certain as I can be that there isn't a fault.

Comment

Working...
      X