Superior TV-11 Tube Tester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superior TV-11 Tube Tester

I was just given a Superior TV-11 tube tester. It needs a little work that will not be to bad.
    The main problem is the meter adjustment is not working correctly. I opened it up and found that a couple of winding's on the the adjuster are burnt. SCHEMATIC AND PHOTOS ATTACHED.

Would like to know what could be used to replace it?

The schematic shows it as a 250 Ohm but the one installed reads 350 Ohm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Burnt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	876121

Name:	Marking.jpg
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	876120

Name:	TV-11-1.jpg
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	876122
    It's all about the bass. Lock in the groove and stay out of everyone else's way.

I would call that 'line adjust' rather than meter adjust. I doubt it gets used near either end so a 250 or 350 should both work there, the wattage rating would be the important spec.
    Is it working aside from those bad spots? And they are right in the area of most use? If so, if it was mine I would swap the wires to the ends around which should move the bad spots to an unused section.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Agree^^^

Value is not critical. Wattage is though. The 0.27A rating on the part with the 350 ohms leads me to think it is a 25 watt part. It LOOKS like a 25w part.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

G1

It is used to set the meter in the center of it's range. Appears to be in the area of most use.
        When turning it to set the meter the needle starts to move up but before it is centered the pot reaches the broken spot. When it's turned past the break, the meter jumps up past the center and I can hear a growl.

Tried the tester without centering the meter with the pot set just before the break. Everything appears to work OK. I haven't checked any of the resistors in the unit. I bet both of the caps in it are bad.
        Last edited by J Luth; 11-28-2019, 04:38 AM.
        It's all about the bass. Lock in the groove and stay out of everyone else's way.

Comment

Wondering if this would work.

https://www.newark.com/ohmite/rhs350...ive_Components

Comment

Should work, yes.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The tester has a 2-wire mains connection with no earth and no isolation, though.

Comment

Thanks Enzo

Comment

Mick
                  You are correct

Comment

One side of the line goes straight to that pot. That's why I call it line adjust. It affects the meter by adjusting the voltage going to the whole unit.
                    I still say you should swap the end wires around and see if it is still a problem. I think it will work fine that way.
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I wouldn't use the thing without an isolating transformer.
                      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                      X