Wax Pot Just Died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax Pot Just Died

Anybody know of an affordable replacement? Trying to avoid spending $200.

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
    I would look for a small electric deep fryer. Might need a little modification. Use it as a "double boiler" and/or connect it to a suitable PCD (phase control dimmer) to regulate temperature.
    Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-28-2019, 05:22 PM.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I use a small electric crock pot from a second hand store.
      Vote like your future depends on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
        Wax pots are pretty simple. I'd take it apart and figure out what's wrong. Maybe you can fix it. You have nothing to lose.

Comment

I have 2 of these in my shop and they are perfect for wax pot use. The Low setting will hold at exactly 141F.

Comment

I’ve got a single burner electric hot plate that heats up my wax in a stainless steel pot. But thinking about getting a vacuum system.

Comment

I've wondered about a vacuum setup too but haven't moved on it yet despite the fact that I know I could save some time on that end of the pickup building process. Lazy!

Comment

small slow-cooker form Kohl's - $10
                Jack Briggs

sigpic
                www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

Old electric deep fryers work great for potting, in fact it's one of the things I look for at antique malls or estate sales.

I have a Dormeyer? and a couple of Nesco fryers here for different waxes.

Ken
                  www.angeltone.com

Comment

Hide glue pot. Not cheap but works great, you have to bump it down about 10 degrees.
                    https://www.amazon.com/Hold-Heet-Ele.../dp/B01HYJTIIO

Comment

My pot is an old coffee maker that happened to have a wide mouth carafe. I took off the water system and I have to put a tile between the burner plate and the carafe to get a steady 151°F. So I leave the tile out while melting the wax and then put it in place just as the last bits are liquefying.
                      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I've not tried them for potting yet, but those cheap candle warmers we were seeing all over the place a couple of years ago pretty much nail the 150 temp you need.
                        I've a couple and a brick of canning wax set aside for that exact purpose when the need arises.

Comment

Originally posted by prschmitt View Post
                          I've not tried them for potting yet, but those cheap candle warmers we were seeing all over the place a couple of years ago pretty much nail the 150 temp you need.
                          I've a couple and a brick of canning wax set aside for that exact purpose when the need arises.
                          Are you talking about those hot wax hand dip pots? David Schwab has a few posts about those being excellent potting tools. Which makes a lot of sense since they're the only hot wax baths built for moderate temperatures. Since this is a past fad I expect the used units are CHEAP!!! on the used market now. Smoke 'em if you got 'em
                          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I was referring to one of these guys.
                            Seemed every female I knew had at least two.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Something like this should do you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REVLON-Para...oAAOSwVYNd14w3

cheers
                              Andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X