Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the Filld Coil in this National amp act as a choke ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the Filld Coil in this National amp act as a choke ?

I asked that question about another one of my old amps a while back (Supro Supreme circa 1949) and the answer was no for the below Supro amp :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Supro 1600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	876133

But for the amp below (A Valco cousin made by National), I believe the Field coil in the below National 1212 amp also serves as a power choke., is this correct ?

Name:	National 1212.jpg
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	876134
    " Things change, not always for the better. " - Leo_Gnardo

Originally posted by HaroldBrooks View Post
    I asked that question about another one of my old amps a while back (Supro Supreme circa 1949) and the answer was no for the below Supro amp :

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56111[/ATTACH]

But for the amp below (A Valco cousin made by National), I believe the Field coil in the below National 1212 amp also serves as a power choke., is this correct ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56112[/ATTACH]

In the National 1212 amp the field coil definitely serves as a PS filter choke.

In the Supro schematic I don't see a field coil, but if there is one it is most probably also wired as filter choke.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I think I've seen field coils wired from B+ to ground, in which case it does not act as a choke, but may be acting as 'ballast' to load down the supply.
      In your Supro example, I think this is the whole schematic, with the field coil shown as '1000ohm 25W'. If so, yes it is acting as a choke, not sure why it would not be deemed as so, unless there was confusion about whether it was a choke or a resistor.

Name:	valco_supreme_schematic_72dpi.jpg
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	856154
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
      X