Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems with Heathkit IG-18 (Modified) rebuild.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
    I only see the pics in post #2, and the empty small xstr spots look to me to have the B in the center. Are they TO92 or are they round ones?
    That one is part of the Schmidt trigger and was originally a small round metal case. The others in the sine wave portion were originally TO-98, which the 2N3417s are. The PNP substitutes im using, 2N3906s are TO-92
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

I don't know. I think of the man hours I've already put into this thing. I wonder if I should have just rebuilt it to use the HP-339a circuit. I got a VCR2N jfet for the AGC just for this purpose.

But I hate to give up on it now.
      I'd like to eliminate the switches as the problem. Can you guys suggest something I could put in place of the notch filter just to see if it oscillates or biases?
      If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Sorry, no suggestions for the notch filter.
        But Q5 base is measuring pretty much a double diode drop from B+ ?
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Problem Solved!

Just bought an IG-5218 in mint condition for $52 off ebay.

The 5218 seems to be pretty much the same circuit as the IG-18. But the one I bought seems to use better parts and hardware.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Heathkit IG-5218.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	703.2 KB
ID:	856351

Name:	Heathkit IG-5218-0.jpg
Size:	718.3 KB
ID:	856352]

Name:	Heathkit IG-5218-2.jpg
Size:	936.8 KB
ID:	856353

Name:	Heathkit IG-5218-3.jpg
Size:	775.2 KB
ID:	856354

Works great. Modified the power supply board to use a LM317 regulator, and removed the neon and installed an LED.

Comment

Will you be able to use it to figure out what's wrong with the other one?
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
            X