No announcement yet.

Yellow Jacket opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice that there's a black lead on the Yellow Jacket base. I'll bet this is intended to be grounded/earthed to the chassis.
    Good observation. I also think that the black lead is used to short-circuit any existing cathode resistor and use the internal resistor for biasing instead. This would allow for better center biasing.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
      Good observation. I also think that the black lead is used to short-circuit any existing cathode resistor and use the internal resistor for biasing instead. This would allow for better center biasing.
      Right. And since guys are using these things in their Marshall heads I think there also must be a DC blocking cap for the grid in there as well.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        Right. And since guys are using these things in their Marshall heads I think there also must be a DC blocking cap for the grid in there as well.
        Yes, it's descibed here: https://www.yellowjacketstc.com/detailed-information
        Many different versions.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

After visiting the Yellow Jacket homepage , they make a yellow Jacket recommended for the Vibro Champ , it's not the one I have . Apologies for not going there first.
          https://www.yellowjacketstc.com/ampl...ecommendations posted before seeing post #18,as stated before "one of those days" Please don't throw me in the storm drain
          Last edited by shortcircuit; 12-06-2019, 09:25 PM.
          If you don't know where your going any road'll take you there : George Harrison

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
            I'd want to know more about what's inside that converter socket so I could equate the changes to real world circuit analysis before putting my stamp on using them.
            I don't know how accurate this is. It's all I could find.
            Looks like both the plate and screen voltage are reduced by 100V

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellow Jacket 100.Jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	856268

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H View Post
              I don't know how accurate this is. It's all I could find.
              Looks like both the plate and screen voltage are reduced by 100V

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56280[/ATTACH]
              Do you have any idea which of the many Yellow Jackets converters this refers to? I understand that some of them reduce plate and screen voltage while others don't.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Good find. It seems that there are several models though. The site is rather ambiguous about the actual circuitry in each model.

It reads to me that the one they recommend for the Vibro Champ is just a pin converter. That's not a very good idea IMO. Running an el84 at 400+Vp - Vg2 with no screen resistor and a 470R cathode resistance?!?!
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                  Do you have any idea which of the many Yellow Jackets converters this refers to? I understand that some of them reduce plate and screen voltage while others don't.
                  From the descriptions of their web site I'd think it was a YJS

Comment

I think model YJC with the ground wire and (probably) voltage reduction would be the best choice. Will reduce power, though.
                    Ground wire shorts the existing cathode resistor.
                    Last edited by Helmholtz; 12-07-2019, 08:32 PM.
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                    X