cheap kit Audio amp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
    Seriously... practically everyone that bought a a computer in the last 20 years got an amp and speakers with it... then chucked them when they upgraded or moved. I gave 6 of them to the Goodwill Drop Off when I moved last January. They all have a corner with the stuff stacked to the ceiling. Also good for power supplies, wall worts, etc. A lot of times the speakers and the amps get separated too and you get them for $1 or $2.
    Thanks O.D. yea there are two near me, will try this weekend.
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

I can pull dead computer power supplies out of the recycling bin at work pretty much any week of the year. I've got a small pile of heat sinks from those stockpiled.

Also a nice chrome-plated PSU box (why would anyone ever need that in chrome?) to turn into a little bookshelf guitar amp, but that's another thread.
      If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
      If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
      We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
      MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
        I can pull dead computer power supplies out of the recycling bin at work pretty much any week of the year. I've got a small pile of heat sinks from those stockpiled.

Also a nice chrome-plated PSU box (why would anyone ever need that in chrome?) to turn into a little bookshelf guitar amp, but that's another thread.
        Ooh, now that you mention it, there's an electronics/computer repair shop in the next town over. Its been ages since I drove past there, but they always had aHUGE pile of dead electronics on/around the garbage can out back. It took huge effort not to pull over and take a look. I'll swing by on the way home tomorrow. Its out of the way, but .... who knows maybe some good stuff in there!
        The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Haven't found anything in the roadside, but did find one or two with heat sinks. FUnny, they are not much different in price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TDA7377-DC1...aa7c%7Ciid%3A1

The really funny thing, to me anyway (untrained eye), is that the heat sink appears to be mounted just wrong. The hottest part of the transistor is mounted on the thin part of a fin, and not on the solid part of the back of the sink. I don't believe their ME was tops in his/her class.

Comment

It looks like you could cut most of those fins off, and still have the same cooling.
            Vote like your future depends on it.

Comment

Originally posted by dmartn149 View Post
              It looks like you could cut most of those fins off, and still have the same cooling.
              Heh, yeah, the A team didn't design that one.

Comment

Interesting. Looks like the exact same board. Fewer filter caps. But the heat sink is mounted correctly (or better anyway) on this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-TDA7...aa7c%7Ciid%3A1

And its a little over two bucks cheaper.

Comment

I was just about to write a "sadly, the old electronics repair shop is no longer" message, but I found the shop is still there, after 20+ years, just a few doors down. Hopefully, they leave a heaping pile of nice non recyclable electronics to throw out. With heat sinks!

The development where my employer is located, used to have a self serve electronics waste drop off once a year. It was cool since that evening, I could 'browse' the junk. They had a big section in one of the garages. They stopped that and instead, a truck arrives between certain hours and you had stuff right to the guy who puts it in the truck, so no junk shopping for a long time. And our company used to TOSS really good, say 4-5 year old computers, now they have a recycler come and they record the serial numbers.

Getting harder to get electronics junk anymore.

Comment

Working...
                  X