Problems with hand winding pickups.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with hand winding pickups.

I recently decided to start winding my own pickups. The problem I'm having is this: At the edges of the bobbin, no matter how fast, or how slow I go, the wire comes loose and pops up. I have guides in place to keep the wire from going too far side to side. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Sounds like you need to tension the wire a lot tighter. I had that happen on my first two winds.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I get the same thing when I have my traverse limiters too close to the edges of the bobbin. Try moving them in very slightly. Too far in and you get a dip at the top and bottom of the bobbin. Too far out and you get clumping and loose winds.

Also, if you still have a little tag from the injection molding, sand it off well. You need a nice surface for your wire to lay on.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Guitar View Post
        I get the same thing when I have my traverse limiters too close to the edges of the bobbin. Try moving them in very slightly. Too far in and you get a dip at the top and bottom of the bobbin. Too far out and you get clumping and loose winds.

Also, if you still have a little tag from the injection molding, sand it off well. You need a nice surface for your wire to lay on.
        Very good advice.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

to piggyback....don't be afraid to hold the wire tighter between your fingers allowing for more tension. Maintain that tight steady tension when winding the bobbin.

I know when i started winding, i didn't know how much tension to give the wire and i also tended to slack off during the winding process which allowed for a microphonic pickup and the wire bunching up.

You want a nice tight coil.
          www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Great advise!! I've managed to stop breaking the wire, and I'm getting it wound nice and tight. The only problem I'm having now is that I'm winding TOO tight, but I know in time I will get better.

Comment

Originally posted by thirteenpastmidnight View Post
              Great advise!! I've managed to stop breaking the wire, and I'm getting it wound nice and tight. The only problem I'm having now is that I'm winding TOO tight, but I know in time I will get better.
              That's the other thing...you have to watch for that as well..... you can stretch the wire which will increase the resistance. ....you gotta find that "sweet spot" so to speak.
              www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Personally I like to pinch the wire inside of a folded piece of foam when hand winding.

Comment

Working...
                X