Crap in the gap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crap in the gap!

A EV ZLX powered speaker came in for sounding dull. Playing recorded music through it revealed a weak sounding horn. It was there, but not like it should have been. I pulled the diaphragm for inspection and it looked and measured good. Before ordering a $65 part, I had him bring the other good one over for comparison and swapping. While pulling the good one apart I got a call, and when I came back I forgot which was which! So I hooked them back up and couldn't tell any difference, they both sounded fine.

So before buttoning them back up, I took both diaphragms out and cleaned out the gaps in the magnets with masking tape and 150 psi compressed air. I never saw anything, but I think something must have gotten into the gap and seized up the diaphragm. So the result was ideal, no parts to buy and wait for, and no down time for a working musician. Customer was thrilled, and boy am I glad I didn't buy a diaphram he didn't need. Happy ending.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Boy, am I glad. Both for your experience AND that I wasn't sure if this was a post about some Euro sex film. Phwew! I like to he helpful, but I was wincing as I clicked
    Last edited by Chuck H; 12-10-2019, 03:50 AM.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Packing fudge 2, the sequel.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	820081bf473df7709e2e1c6b65b29d04.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	856284

If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
        I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

Working...
        X