Twin Reverb tremolo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
    Does it really shift pitch? Seems to me it splits the audio into highs and lows and separately trems them. But I don't see any frequency change.
    I think there are some Magnatones that pitch shift. Can't say about the others. I do know that I've heard it in a vintage tube amp. It was pretty awful actually.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Yeah, the magnatones, old and modern definitely have pitch shifting vibrato. The pitch shift warble is certain in my Magnatone M13.
      I have also read that the 5g13 has a phase shift vibrato which shifts pitch.

Comment

As far as the brown/white Fender tremolos go, based on my sample size of having played 3, it is not true vibrato. However, there is some pitch-shift, but it wasn't meant to be the effect. I have read it's more from phasing issues when the hi & low signals are summed before being passed on.

Having played an AC30 with the vibrato & tremolo feature, and just about every kind of tremolo in vintage amps, I prefer the "Harmonic Vibrato of the big brown & white Fenders - the one that uses 2.5 12AX7s.

I thought the Vox vibrato & tremolo were both pretty cheez-whiz, especially without truevariable rate & depth. The Vibro-Champ trem is quite nice; as was that on that old tweed 1x12" I played once. Not sure if it was a Tremolux or Vibrolux. But I think that was mire the particular amo & not the design. I thought the Dwlta Blues did a great helicopter trem, but also lost a ton of volume at higher speed.

Justin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Only Vox AC30 (TB) has both effects on switch selection (vibrato & tremolo)
          The difference is noticeable. Vibrato sounds similarly like a phaser.
          It's All Over Now

Comment

Looking at the 1992 schematic for AC30 TB, I see the split phase freq trem, but all I see with the trem/vib switch is a change in the EQ. I don't see how it could pitch-shift. if it can, I'd like to learn.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Some of the Kustom amps had tremolo and vibrato, and they can be run together, but those effects are done via solid state. I know the Defender V100 and the Coupe 72 have this, don't know if others do too. The vibrato is subtle but it does modulate the pitch.

Comment

Surely would like to see a circuit. I see the split freq type where the highs and lows trem at opposite phase, so it fools the ear. But actual pitch change is not simple.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Here’s how Magnatone does it.
                  http://www.magnatoneamps.com/FMvibrato.html

Comment

best Ive heard is link wray on that song rumble something.. so supro must have done them good. i think he used a supro on that.

Comment

Perhaps I'm missing something with the Magnetone circuit, but it still seems to met to be a phase shift circuit. When I switch my vibe pedal to vibrato and turn up the depth it gives the impression of pitch change, but it's not actually changing pitch. In fact, it gives a pretty good constantly-out-of-tune effect that's the audio equivalent of sea sickness. Is all of this just how our brains interpret phase shift?

If you run a constant sine wave through a magnetone what does the scoped output look like?

Comment

Does it really shift pitch?
                        Up to +/-10Hz acc. to Zollner. AC30 allows switching between pure AM (Trem) and mixed FM/AM (Vib).
                        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

but it still seems to met to be a phase shift circuit
                          A constant phase shift does not change frequency, but varying phase does. Phase modulation means a modulation (expansion and compression) of the time scale which in turn modulates frequency. So phase modulation always means frequency modulation.
                          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Looking at the 1992 schematic for AC30 TB, I see the split phase freq trem, but all I see with the trem/vib switch is a change in the EQ. I don't see how it could pitch-shift. if it can, I'd like to learn.
                            Here's a great discussion and explanation of it https://www.guitargear.net.au/discus...?topic=30731.0

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                            Perhaps I'm missing something with the Magnetone circuit, but it still seems to met to be a phase shift circuit. When I switch my vibe pedal to vibrato and turn up the depth it gives the impression of pitch change, but it's not actually changing pitch. In fact, it gives a pretty good constantly-out-of-tune effect that's the audio equivalent of sea sickness. Is all of this just how our brains interpret phase shift?...
                            According to the dicussion, phase shift and frequency shift are 2 sides of the same coin.
                            My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

phase shift and frequency shift are 2 sides of the same coin.
                              Not quite. E.g. the phase shift/lag produced a simple LP filter means a constant time delay for a given frequency. But signal frequency before and after the filter is the same.
                              It requires a varying phase shift to vary frequency.
                              In other words, frequency is proportional to d(phi)/dt. (The greek letter phi is the abbreviation for phase. Phase is the argument of the sine/cosine function of the signal.) Means that as long as the rate of change of phase with time doesn't change, frequency will be constant and adding a constant phase shift doesn't change frequency.
                              Last edited by Helmholtz; 12-12-2019, 05:44 PM.
                              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Just to get back on topic...

Sea Chief, are you going to try a new bug first? If your bugs are old, as in original, it could be worth a try. Lot's of reports about older bugs, uh, buggering the usefulness of the tremolo in that circuit.
                                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                                X