Ampeg SVT-CL issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg SVT-CL issue

I’ve seen this problem a few times online, but after some normal playing on this SVT, with tubes biased properly, the failure mode will kick in. I cleaned and retensioned all tube pins, customer said tubes were brand new. Thought I had fixed it, took it to two gigs and it functioned fine till third set at my second gig.
    I took it home and took it apart to try and further diagnose, and when I switched the power on the ribbon cable from the power tube board to the main PCB smoked. Not sure where to go from here, or even where to order a replacement.

Can you post pictures? It may be repairable without board replacement.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I can’t post pictures from my phone, but it’s the 16 pin ribbon cable. One of the wires blew in half right out of the shielding.

Comment

The blown wire on the ribbon cable beeps continuity to pins 5&6 on preamp tubes V1-3, the two 12AU7s and 12AX7 on the main PCB

Comment

Oops. I misunderstood. I thought you meant the board itself burned when you plugged the cable in. Without pics, I'm not sure what type of cable it is. You might be able to reuse the connectors and just get a new hunk of cable. Maybe something like this?

Without connectors:
          https://www.amazon.com/Accessories-1.../dp/B00B2HZ89S

With connectors:
          https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-Connec...9QMQW1JEKVNASG

The other option is to cut out the burnt wire and run a separate hardwired connection from board to board. Also note that the two links I posted are only examples. Those cables are, of course, available in different lengths, different wire gauges, and with different connectors. Lots of places have them.
          Last edited by The Dude; 12-12-2019, 12:18 AM.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
          X