Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source for 53mm 1018 'Bucker Keeper Bars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for 53mm 1018 'Bucker Keeper Bars?

Can't find 1018 keeper bars in 53mm. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Sorry.... I am a novice in this area. I assume you are talking about something like this? PU-6947 53mm Keeper Bar

Comment

Originally posted by TomCarlos View Post
      Sorry.... I am a novice in this area. I assume you are talking about something like this? PU-6947 53mm Keeper Bar
      Yes, but in 1018 steel. All I can find is 1010 or undisclosed "mystery" metal.

Comment

Worth a call to allparts, someone there probably knows what these are made from or can find out for you. I think maybe Mike is the fellow who knows stuff like this but it's been a while.
        Philadelphialuthier can't get them for you?

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
          Worth a call to allparts, someone there probably knows what these are made from or can find out for you. I think maybe Mike is the fellow who knows stuff like this but it's been a while.
          Philadelphialuthier can't get them for you?
          I haven't had time to call around. Just browsing my usual suppliers. I did email Mojotone...they only have 1010.

I'm curious about 12L14, but I'm not familiar with its tonal qualities. This is for an order so I'm not in a position to experiment.

Comment

You can just make your own. All you need is some 1018 steel bars from Online Metals or elsewhere*, a miter saw or bandsaw to cut to length, and a drill press. Use an existing 53mm keeper as a template (you will need to "widen" it to the 1/4" with a piece of wood, plastic strip, or tape, whatever works -- see below for why) to make your first one, then use this first as your permanent template.

*I just use 1/4" wide 1/8" deep bars. Yes, the holes are little off to one side because it's wider but it will fit, though you may need to shave one corner down a bit to allow the lead to fit through the lead hole, especially with 4-conductor. Naturally if you can get some 1018 bars the same width as a traditional keeper, that would be easier, but I wasn't able to find any so I just got used to the 1/4".

Comment

Working...
            X