Impedance measuring jig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impedance measuring jig

Hallo. How can I measure the impedance peaks of a speaker at resonant frequency, please ?
    I have an 600ohm output audio generator. A hefty 100w 2k output transformer and a multimeter. Thanks
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

I don't know! But I'm curious! Why do you need to know?
    --
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Trying to dampen impedance peaks at resonant frequency using different methods. I wonder how effective are? I have a good signal generator and the 2k OT will help to drive the speaker. But have no ideea how to make a resistive jig and how to translate the voltage values readings into some useful stuff. A measuring precision of 10% should be enough for my purpose. Thanks
      Last edited by catalin gramada; 12-16-2019, 09:50 PM.
      "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Originally posted by catalin gramada View Post
        Hallo. How can I measure the impedance peaks of a speaker at resonant frequency, please ?
        I have an 600ohm output audio generator. A hefty 100w 2k output transformer and a multimeter. Thanks
        To measure speaker you connect the speaker in series with a 1k resistor directly to your generator (no transformer) and sweep frequency while measuring the voltage across the speaker with a mV meter of sufficient bandwidth or a scope. Speaker voltage will be approximately proportional to impedance.
        Last edited by Helmholtz; 12-16-2019, 10:50 PM.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
          To measure speaker you connect the speaker in series with a 1k resistor directly to your generator (no transformer) and sweep frequency while measuring the voltage across the speaker with a mV meter of sufficient bandwidth or a scope. Speaker voltage will be approximately proportional to impedance. For calculating exact impedance from the voltage use the voltage divider formula and add your generator impedance to 1k.
          Thank You. How accurate this method is, please ?

Comment

Originally posted by catalin gramada View Post
            Thank You. How accurate this method is, please ?
            Best you use the speaker voltage at 400Hz as reference because that's were guitar speakers show nominal impedance. So if you measure twice this voltage at some other frequency impedance will be about doubled.
            I would estimate the accuracy to about 10%. For better accuracy I use a good SS power amp and a higher value series resistor. Lower series resistance tends to squeeze the peaks.
            But mind that a tube guitar/bass amp squeezes the peaks even more as its output impedance (between 2R and 100R) damps the resonances.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Thank You

Comment

Working...
              X