Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hammond Power Transformer - 100v Tap for Bias?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammond Power Transformer - 100v Tap for Bias?

Hi all,

I’ve got the following Hammond power transformer id like to use with a Fender style power supply using the 50v bias circuit. Can I use the 100v purple wires and bring it down to 50v with a zener diode or voltage divider or something similar? Is that enough current?

Any advice if this will work and how to connect it would be great!

Thanks,
    -BW

Click image for larger version

Name:	77073601-FA5A-4118-B77D-78323F803942.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	876192

Yes it looks like you'd be fine to use that winding for bias.

That transformer appears to have dual 100/110/120v primaries, so be careful with how you wire them.

I tried to look it up on Hammond's site, but couldn't find it as there is a digit or two missing from that torn corner. I don't recognise the 'H' prefix; possibly it is non-standard.
    Most of their transformers have wiring diagrams on their website. http://hammondmfg.com/index.htm

Comment

You don't need to use a zener to regulate the winding voltage. You can just add a series resistor before the bias pot to increase the voltage division.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

^^^^^^^ Yes that. A simple voltage divider providing, basically, a reference voltage is all you need. There is very little current drawn from the bias supply.
        Last edited by The Dude; 12-18-2019, 01:04 AM.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
          There is very little current drawn from the bias supply.
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This! Because there is insignificant current regulation isn't an issue. The voltage will be adequately constant with a simple divider.

Thank you Dude.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
          X