Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KRK V8 Series 2 - no output from tweeter

Greetings from the UK.

I managed to grab a pair of KRK V8 series 2 active monitors for the princely sum of £30, (around $40), which is a pretty good grab by my reckoning. The only issue is that on one of them, there is no output from the tweeter. There is output on the 8" driver, and the tweeter itself appears to be ok, (ie it works if I swap it with the the one in the other unit). My soldering skills are ok, my taking things apart skills are pretty good as well, (recently dismantled a Korg Trinity keyboard to get at and replace the touchscreen/LCD). But my knowledge of components is limited to knowing what they are and what SOME of them do, (basically if you chuck a load of resistors, capacitors etc on a bit of board then some kind of magic happens).
    When I got the V8's, the dodgy one had 3 switches on the back that were all busted as far as I can tell, (suspect that it may have been dropped on its back and the impact on the switch shafts damaged the switches). I replaced these without a problem, (after finally getting to the supplier of parts to KRK).
    I have a schematic, and also a pic of a board that is more or less the same, (it is from a V6 and there are some components on mine that are not on the picture). What I am after is where to start looking and how. My only test equipment is a multi meter, (a Rapid Electronics 210DMM). If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be forever grateful.
    Don't think I can attach the pics or schematic yet.

PM me and I'll help get the pics and schematics posted for you. It's going to be hard to give advice without some sort of map.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Can't seem to access PM's, have sent a message via contact us but not heard back yet.

Comment

Not sure, but I THINK PMs are part of the probationary period, like linking photos. You only have a post count of 2, so a couple more and it should open up for you.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Until i get PM/attachments sorted, a bit more info. I have looked at the components and there do not appear to be any obvious problems, ie none of the caps look like they are bulging, no nasty black burn marks etc.
          Are there any moderators I can get in touch with to speed up the process?

Comment

Take a look at the output devices.
            What is in your unit.
            Not too sure about Ver2 but Ver 1 used two LM3886 ic's for the bass and one for the tweeter.

Comment

There are 3 LM3886 and schematic does seem to show that tweeter does indeed utilise 1 of these, good place to start, but probably bad time to start! Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
              X