Electronic bagpipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic bagpipes

I don't think my odds are good, but any chance someone here may have worked on such a thing (v-pipes)?
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

I am of Scottish descent even, but to me "electronic bagpipes" somehow is like "artificial Brussels sprouts".

I am imagining something you blow into for breath control, has a playable chanter, and generates the drones? I used to service a Yamaha wind instrument, actually more than one model, WX series I think. It was a MIDI controller and played like a sax. Mouthpiece had breath sensor as well as lip pressure sensors.

I serviced a competing brand too. I have a mental image of your thing with more or less similar guts.

Does yours need an amp, or can it make its own sound like say an electronic accordion? Or for that matter does it make sounds in any way or is it just a controller?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I have not, but looks interesting. Is it the one pictured on this page?

https://www.vpipes.com/wp/
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Yes, that's it.
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Is the problem in the instrument part or the brain part? It looks like you could narrow it down or check the brain using a keyboard and MIDI in.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
            Is the problem in the instrument part or the brain part? It looks like you could narrow it down or check the brain using a keyboard and MIDI in.
            Maybe he needs help playing it
            I bet real bagpipers sneer at it
            nosaj
            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Maybe the guy wants flame throwers installed?

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                I bet real bagpipers sneer at it
                nosaj
                Well "I" happen to like bagpipes. I know that as an American westerner I'm sort of weird for that, but I don't care. Something in my DNA identifies with the sound and I like them. So... I went on %0uTu&e and checked out the Vpipes. Ech! Sounds like a typical 80's keyboard simulacrum of the expected instrument. Casio could have done better. But that's not the point so I didn't post right away on this matter. g1 has a situation to resolve and The Dude has the right course of action for now I think. Troubleshooting in the most standard sense is the place to start. I didn't see any "known failure modes" or anything like that when looking into this device or I might have reported on it. But yeah, as far as the tone compared to the real thing?
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                  In a way, it's a little of that.
                  No display, and the display is on the 'pipe' unit. So I'd love to plug it in and see if maybe it's just a display issue, but I have no clue how to play it.
                  I'll have to spend some time with the manual I guess.

Comment

Who'd have ever thought you need a schematic to fix bagpipes?

Comment

Who'd have ever thought you need a schematic to fix bagpipes?
                      Well... Are they bagpipes? Not really helpful I suppose, but actual bagpipes aren't at hand here I guess.?.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Sorry. It was meant to be a satirical comment on how even the most traditional of instruments are now modeled. I'll stop now.

Is the display itself not working, or maybe just not the backlight?

Comment

Oh no, keep 'em coming. As I said, I didn't think my odds were good, but I was pretty sure it would be fertile ground for at least some humour.

Comment

I haven't the slightest idea how to finger a saxophone, but was still easily able to test the functionality of the units.

I have to ask: did we try contacting the company?
                            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Sorry. It was meant to be a satirical comment on how even the most traditional of instruments are now modeled. I'll stop now.

Is the display itself not working, or maybe just not the backlight?
                              When I said "Not really helpful I suppose,.." I was referring to MY response. Not a commentary on your eminently practical responses so far. JSYK Mr. Dude. (and how many "dudes" get "Mr." in front of their name )
                              Last edited by Chuck H; 12-20-2019, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X