Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez DM2000 repairs?

Howdy,

i have a couple of these which I need to have repaired by someone who knows what they are doing- has experience with the layout and foibles of these.
    reading through threads it appears the knowledge base here is great and probably someone can help me out.

on one PSU gets very hot- on another I have distortion on the delay line.

anyone here work on these or got a recommendation?

( a dm2000 in good shape, does a unique thing I need )

thanks, Mike

Well I'm not someone that works on those, but I can tell you that since the many chips in there are not socketed the repair is a bit of a PITA even once it's diagnosed. I wouldn't be inclined to take a repair like that for a unit that can be bought used/working for about $120 on *bay. With diagnostics and service the repair will likely cost that much.

JM2C

But the flip side is that you NEED them and the used unit supply can't last forever. So in that light repairing them might make sense.?. There was a discussion here a few years ago about one these with distorted delay signal. As I recall it was never worked out.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by tourswag View Post
      Howdy,

i have a couple of these which I need to have repaired by someone who knows what they are doing- has experience with the layout and foibles of these.
      reading through threads it appears the knowledge base here is great and probably someone can help me out.

on one PSU gets very hot- on another I have distortion on the delay line.

anyone here work on these or got a recommendation?

( a dm2000 in good shape, does a unique thing I need )

thanks, Mike
      With the power supply getting warm, I can almost bet the caps are drying out and need replacement.

nosaj

service manual http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...ice-manual.pdf
      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I almost mentioned rebuilding the power supply in the hot one. If it's not showing other symptoms. Nothing to lose but a few bucks worth of capacitors and some time.

Here's a link to the thread I mentioned above:

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...=Ibanez+DM2000

Some research shows that some of the chips and the CPU are "obsolete" though still attainable.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

As far as any referrals for service, you should list your location in your profile so we can at least get the continent right.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
            As far as any referrals for service, you should list your location in your profile so we can at least get the continent right.
            yeah...USA will ship anywhere for pro service.
            ( "pro" meaning I expect to pay)

You know, you find the right guy, not the guy close by

Thankful for the quick responses.

Mike

Comment

My shop is closed, I retired. But I would have tackled it.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I have one of these i bought non working. It's sitting on a shelf after i repaired it, been a few 5 years. I think it was filter caps i changed, would have to open the top to see what i did.

Comment

Either of you taking on work?

- I am in no rush- I have at least 2 units ready to send out after the holidays

if the PSU is a concern ( so surprise after 30 years) I'd like to get them good for another 30 or use then as donors to keep my others up to spec ( audio)

Thanks, Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X