Blackstar ht40 No Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackstar ht40 No Sound

New tubes, the filaments light up, speakers connected but no sound. I don't know these amps, any experts out there?

Any other outputs -FX send, Line out/phones?

Comment

the standby mode is dependent from the input and output jacks,and a PIC controller does all the procedure.

Comment

It should output to phones in standby to verify the preamp side. If the amp is stuck in standby there will be a larger than usual negative voltage on the output tube grids of around -90v, The MOSFET PI on these amps can fail due to leakage between pins. If one side is gone the output is low-volume and distorted. If both, then no sound. When they begin to fail it sounds like bad output tubes. Check the gate voltages on both MOSFETS. If bad you'll see tens of volts.

Comment

Update: turns out the owner had disassembled the top cab screws & didn’t support the head. It dropped & cracked a power tube. I removed the tube socket (very tight) & replaced the tubes but no sound, just filaments lighting. What would be the likely suspects?

Comment

Assuming you removed the tube base from the socket, not the socket itself. Again - Is there an output from the phones socket or FX send? Determine if the fault is in the preamp or power amp section. If the preamp works, check if you have correct DC voltages on the output tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by Perkinsman View Post
              Update: turns out the owner had disassembled the top cab screws & didn’t support the head. It dropped & cracked a power tube. I removed the tube socket (very tight) & replaced the tubes but no sound, just filaments lighting. What would be the likely suspects?
              Follow Micks advice and report back here. Anything at this point is an assumption...Just the Facts, man

nosaj
              soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

No headphone or line out but there is an effects return/send but I’m not sure how to test. I ran an external test speaker into the Fx send & guitar into the input but still nothing. I tested voltages on both preamp tubes & power tubes & while I’m getting ac to light filaments, I get very low dc voltages in mv range.

Comment

Also tried attaching the speaker to the speaker output & the guitar into the Fx send, nothing.

Comment

Also tried attaching the speaker to the speaker output & the guitar into the Fx send, nothing.
                    First plug guitar into instrument jack and headphones in the FX send get sound? then
                    try this Plug guitar into FX return and play do you get sound at speaker?

Nosaj

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                      First plug guitar into instrument jack and headphones in the FX send get sound? then
                      try this Plug guitar into FX return and play do you get sound at speaker?

Nosaj
                      Nothing either way

Comment

Nothing either way
                        In that case it's time to get dirty. Here is the schematichttp://dealers.korgusa.com/svcfiles/...0schematic.pdf
                        We will start at the power supply Page 3 check F1 and F2 and F5.
                        Then at TP9 you should see 3.3v
                        TP11 +12.6v and TP12 -12.6v

Then go back to Micks post #4.

nosaj

Comment

Thanks nosaj...I’ve got to wait until later today or tomorrow to get back on it.

Comment

In that case it's time to get dirty. Here is the schematichttp://dealers.korgusa.com/svcfiles/...0schematic.pdf

nosaj
                            Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                            It should output to phones in standby to verify the preamp side. If the amp is stuck in standby there will be a larger than usual negative voltage on the output tube grids of around -90v, The MOSFET PI on these amps can fail due to leakage between pins. If one side is gone the output is low-volume and distorted. If both, then no sound. When they begin to fail it sounds like bad output tubes. Check the gate voltages on both MOSFETS. If bad you'll see tens of volts.
                            Thanks nosaj...I’ve got to wait until later today or tomorrow to get back on it.
                            Ok, back at it, I wanna get dirty. F1+13vac, F2+13.5vac F5+28vac, TP9+3.3vdc, TP11+12.79, TP12 -12.9
                            V3&V4 grids -76.6

I’m not sure which ones are mosfets, can you please tell me their number.

Comment

nosaj
                              Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                              If the mosfets are TR1&2, they both measure 0vdc at the gate, source/drain both -45vdc

Comment

Working...
                              X