No announcement yet.

Esr & low value capacidence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FSD= Full Scale Deflection. Apologies. I'm old and my references are perhaps stuck in the past. I built mine from a schematic I found on the web but I no longer have it and it disappeared long ago. I just used my cheap Chinese tester and it gives the ESR of film caps, too. I have this one and its also useful for checking through junkbox transistors. The price has now increased a little in the 2 years since I got mine;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192891876192

I get what olddawg is saying. My experience is different overall though and I still like my ESR meter and it works for me. I agree that where I'm seeing high ESR on a board of SMD electrolytics I do replace all the ones of that type, sometimes the whole lot. When I see those little 2uf electrolytic coupling caps in 70s Peaveys, the same thing - a few will read high if you did care to measure them, but through exprerience you know that they will all need changing as they're always either bad or heading that way. Again, it comes down to your personal preference and what works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
      I think FSD would be 'full scale deflection' of the meter.
      Thanks!

I never would have guessed. While I'm old enough to be familiar with analog needle meters, abbreviations in a foreign language always are an additional barrier.
      (IIRC someone started a thread covering technical abbreviations a while ago?)
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

someone started a thread covering technical abbreviations a while ago?
        Probably. That is one of those "good ideas" that folks come up with but no one participates.

Moving needle meters - analog meters - used to have the accuracy spec in % of FSD. people might see 2% and think "my, how accurate", without realizing that 2% accuracy only applied when the reading had the needle most of the way over. 2% of full scale isn't all that great when the reading is way down at the bottom.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

That is one of those "good ideas" that folks come up with but no one participates.
          If that thread (still) exists I'd vote for making it a "Sticky".
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
          X