Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minim View Post
    It turned out really well.

I'm definitely inspired. I've owned two Deluxe Reverbs neither of which I should have sold. Once I sell a couple of things I'm going to find me a keeper.
    Build one!

I built mine as my first project. I'd messed with mods and repairs on lots of Marshalls, but never built an amp from scratch. I figured, what the hell? Might as well go all-in. It was tough but very rewarding, and it turned out great. It gets used and abused a lot. I built it as a head because I'm not into combos...and I got a bunch of 4x12 cabs already.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_L View Post
      Build one!

I built mine as my first project. I'd messed with mods and repairs on lots of Marshalls, but never built an amp from scratch. I figured, what the hell? Might as well go all-in. It was tough but very rewarding, and it turned out great. It gets used and abused a lot. I built it as a head because I'm not into combos...and I got a bunch of 4x12 cabs already.
      You know, building one makes a lot of sense but...

I'm first and foremost a player, and tinkerer/modder/amateur repairman second, and I've found that my playing has really suffered due to too much time spent endlessly tweaking stuff trying to obtain some 'grail tone'. Lately I've been playing a lot more and getting back into transcribing some more challenging lead work a la Steve Lukather, through my JCM900 with minor tweaks. My fear is that I could end up disappearing down some flux-fume-induced wormhole and spend my whole time wondering if I did it right and whether it sounds 'just like the pro's ones'.

But you know what, I've been looking at the Mojotone kit and for the price it would be a more sensible option than buying a used reissue with a PCB and maybe I should shut up and build the damn thing already.

Comment

Originally posted by minim View Post
        You know, building one makes a lot of sense but...

I'm first and foremost a player, and tinkerer/modder/amateur repairman second, and I've found that my playing has really suffered due to too much time spent endlessly tweaking stuff trying to obtain some 'grail tone'. Lately I've been playing a lot more and getting back into transcribing some more challenging lead work a la Steve Lukather, through my JCM900 with minor tweaks. My fear is that I could end up disappearing down some flux-fume-induced wormhole and spend my whole time wondering if I did it right and whether it sounds 'just like the pro's ones'.

But you know what, I've been looking at the Mojotone kit and for the price it would be a more sensible option than buying a used reissue with a PCB and maybe I should shut up and build the damn thing already.
        I get that. We're kind of in the same boat. I'm a player too (not a good one) and playing and recording is my main focus. I play in three original bands and do a lot of recording of myself, my band projects, and other people. I've got a wall of Marshalls and cabs...but had no Fender amp. I obviously needed "Fender amp tone" in my stable. I also wanted to build something because I'd never done it before. The need and the want combined to make the build no-brainer. An AB763 was maybe a little ambitious for a first project but that's what I wanted. I'm big into garage rock psychosurfabilly type music and tones, and IMO that Fender circuit is perfect for that sound. Sure, I could have just bought an amp, but I wanted the project. And I'm super happy I did it. It worked out great and my Deluxe Reverb head kit build is still going strong and gets used all the time. And I did a few little tweaks to make it my own and make it compatible with Marshall cabs. The feeling of making music with something I built with my own hands, and have it sound great, and not explode lol, is very rewarding. And it's admittedly a nice little ego stroke when other musicians wanna talk to me about it after they hear it live. "Man Greg, what is that amp you're playing?" "Well, let me tell ya....". It's awesome! LOL. It's inspired me to build more stuff, for sure, but it's also lit a new fire for making more music with the gear I build. I can't wait to get this reverb unit out into the real world. Maybe that could work for you too. Yes you might go down the wormhole, but when you come out you'll be chomping at the bit to play the hell out of your new build!

Comment

Kind of a late post, but I have a new build of the Weber stand alone reverb. With a pedal board feeding the input there is breakup/clipping when reverb is brought up with the Mix control. it seems to be accentuated with the Tone control in the treble region. I don't notice it with my Strat plugged straight in, but it does appear with a Les Paul & humbuckers.
          Voltages are all on the high side - PS point A-344VDC, point B-289VDC, heaters at 6.7VAC. Can the OP give me measured voltages from his unit?
          Thanks

Comment

Hi John.

Please start a new thread for your repair. It gets confusing talking about more than one unit in a thread.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

As Enzo stated. A new thread is best for individual matters. You could simply "link" this thread as a reference to the OP and questions directly related to this thread.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by johno9 View Post
                Kind of a late post, but I have a new build of the Weber stand alone reverb. With a pedal board feeding the input there is breakup/clipping when reverb is brought up with the Mix control. it seems to be accentuated with the Tone control in the treble region. I don't notice it with my Strat plugged straight in, but it does appear with a Les Paul & humbuckers.
                Voltages are all on the high side - PS point A-344VDC, point B-289VDC, heaters at 6.7VAC. Can the OP give me measured voltages from his unit?
                Thanks
                I could. Maybe tomorrow.

Comment

I could. Maybe tomorrow.
                  Please see and post any information on this thread:

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...lem#post952727

johno9 was good to start a new thread for his own matter. And very well I would say. Including a schematic to reference and reports on voltages, etc.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

I just built that same kit. But the PT is on the outside of the chassis like the other two, and it is causing hum in the tank because it is too close. Now I have to move it. Oh joy. Weber included the two large grommets for the PT wires, so I just assumed it mounted on the outside. Guess not.
                    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
                      I just built that same kit. But the PT is on the outside of the chassis like the other two, and it is causing hum in the tank because it is too close. Now I have to move it. Oh joy. Weber included the two large grommets for the PT wires, so I just assumed it mounted on the outside. Guess not.
                      The PT is supposed to be inside.

Comment

I am not disputing this, but why then are there holes and grommets in the chassis for the PT wires? Very counterintuitive if you ask me.

Comment

I am not disputing this, but why then are there holes and grommets in the chassis for the PT wires? Very counterintuitive if you ask me.
                          I think that chassis is also used for other kits as well. The Champ maybe?

Comment

I put the PT inside, and it does reduce tank hum quite a bit. But, I had to cut down the ground stud to fit it in there. Just one more thing I don't understand in this world I guess.

Comment

I put the PT inside, and it does reduce tank hum quite a bit. But, I had to cut down the ground stud to fit it in there. Just one more thing I don't understand in this world I guess.
                              I used a vertical mount MOD tank in mine. It mounts on the front wall of the cabinet and the connectors point up. I find it to have a little better sound and fit and less noise than the horizontal bottom mount Accutronics the kit came with.

Comment

I used a vertical mount MOD tank in mine. It mounts on the front wall of the cabinet and the connectors point up. I find it to have a little better sound and fit and less noise than the horizontal bottom mount Accutronics the kit came with.
                                I've had similar experience (though with a personal custom build). Just finding the least noisy ans harmonic spot to mount a reverb tank can be a real PITA. But being as this is a "kit" I would have expected someone to have worked that out and provide spec'd parts and instruction. I already think it's pathetic that I have to buy two or three reverb pans whenever I build a reverb amp. If I had to do the same for supposedly functional kit design I'd be pretty well pissed off.

Comment

Working...
                                X