Thread: Weber 5G15 kit build - my 2nd build ever

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 135/0
    Given: 187/2

Weber 5G15 kit build - my 2nd build ever

Follow along please. I'll probably have questions. I'll certainly have pics.

I'm a big fan of super drip super surfy reverb. The Fender 6G15 is the key. I want to build my own*, so away we go.

* I'm a hobbyist builder/tinkerer. I've built only one complete amp in my life, and it works great, and I have modded/maintained/repaired/restored several others. I might barely be more advanced than a novice, but I'm not totally lost all the time.

Anyway, the Weber 5G15 kit. Some of the parts are pretty corny. They'll work, but they obviously could be better. I'm pretty much staying with what it comes with. It's simple enough that I feel like I could just try it as-is and see how it goes. I can replace stuff later if need be. I've got a few upgrades laying around from other projects, so I'll use them, but I'm not replacing too much that doesn't need to be replaced.

I did order a MOD 4AB3C1C reverb tank. It hangs vertical, like the originals are supposed to. The kit comes with a 7th digit "B" Accuntronics tank...which means it's supposed to be used horizontal, open side down. I'd use it if it actually fit that way in the little cabinet! It would require a few little notches cut into the mounting flange. Not a big deal, but I'll just save it for something else and get a more "correct" tank. 23 bucks. No big deal. The cabinet does have studs installed that are meant for a vertical hanging reverb tank.

Anyway, here's some pics of where it's at so far...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down

Thumbs Up/Down

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 42/2
    Given: 64/1
    Looks good. Are you actually going to play some licks for us?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by minim View Post
    Looks good. Are you actually going to play some licks for us?
    Sure, if you want. Last time I posted audio clips I think maybe one person listened to it.

I'll get something recorded tomorrow.

In the meantime, it's done!

Very drippy and slappy and lush thick spring reverb. Very organic. I love it. Tonally I'm seeing no reason to tweak anything so far. First impressions are good. We'll see how the durability goes. It's still early.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Well I'll definitely listen. You don't have to play like Eric Johnson or anything.

I love the sound of the Fender reverb. I have this kit on my 'definitely will build at some point before I die' list.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Well I'll definitely listen. You don't have to play like Eric Johnson or anything.

I love the sound of the Fender reverb. I have this kit on my 'definitely will build at some point before I die' list.
    Cool man. I'll do some sound clips tomorrow.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,365/1
    Given: 1,040/1
    Nice neat and tidy build and great pics!

“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Nice neat and tidy build and great pics!
    Thanks a lot! I'm learning as I go. It helps a lot to keep things neat and organized. Looking nice is a side bonus.

I did my own color-coding, and it helped tremendously with tube socket and potentiometer hookups.
    Red wires - high voltage and plate wires.
    Blue wires - grids
    Yellow wires - cathodes
    Black wires - grounds.
    White wires - potentiometer lugs.

So far, it's passed the powering up tests, voltage tests, and first tone test wonderfully!

Thumbs Up/Down
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ko...1uRWP21BTKZEi0

Here's a quick directionless sound test of the reverb unit, just going through various control settings.

Guitar - 1965 Mosrite Ventures MkI
    Reverb - Weber 5G15 kit build
    Amp - Deluxe Reverb AB763 kit build - Normal Channel
    Cab - Marshall 4x12 - Celestion Vintage 30s
    Mic - AT4047, slightly off center, about 6" off grill.
    No EQ or FX in DAW

Thumbs Up/Down
    Sounds friggin good man, some authentic splishy-splashy going on there. I guess it helps having the real-deal guitar

You must have had the mix cranked right up around the 1.5 - 2 minute mark?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Sounds friggin good man, some authentic splishy-splashy going on there. I guess it helps having the real-deal guitar

You must have had the mix cranked right up around the 1.5 - 2 minute mark?
    Ha yeah, it doesn't hurt having the perfect surf guitar for surf guitar tones.

I probably got the mix up somewhere around 6-7 for the wildest parts. I really just fiddled around. I'm loving the drippy drip surf reverb sound. I didn't detect any weirdness or oscillation noise, and the slight hum is more due to the guitar - these pickups are crazy hot single coils and a little microphonic - so I'm pretty stoked with the whole thing.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_L View Post
    Ha yeah, it doesn't hurt having the perfect surf guitar for surf guitar tones.

I probably got the mix up somewhere around 6-7 for the wildest parts. I really just fiddled around. I'm loving the drippy drip surf reverb sound. I didn't detect any weirdness or oscillation noise, and the slight hum is more due to the guitar - these pickups are crazy hot single coils and a little microphonic - so I'm pretty stoked with the whole thing.
    It turned out really well.

I'm definitely inspired. I've owned two Deluxe Reverbs neither of which I should have sold. Once I sell a couple of things I'm going to find me a keeper.

Thumbs Up/Down
    It turned out really well.

I'm definitely inspired. I've owned two Deluxe Reverbs neither of which I should have sold. Once I sell a couple of things I'm going to find me a keeper.
    Build one!

I built mine as my first project. I'd messed with mods and repairs on lots of Marshalls, but never built an amp from scratch. I figured, what the hell? Might as well go all-in. It was tough but very rewarding, and it turned out great. It gets used and abused a lot. I built it as a head because I'm not into combos...and I got a bunch of 4x12 cabs already.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_L View Post
    Build one!

I built mine as my first project. I'd messed with mods and repairs on lots of Marshalls, but never built an amp from scratch. I figured, what the hell? Might as well go all-in. It was tough but very rewarding, and it turned out great. It gets used and abused a lot. I built it as a head because I'm not into combos...and I got a bunch of 4x12 cabs already.
    You know, building one makes a lot of sense but...

I'm first and foremost a player, and tinkerer/modder/amateur repairman second, and I've found that my playing has really suffered due to too much time spent endlessly tweaking stuff trying to obtain some 'grail tone'. Lately I've been playing a lot more and getting back into transcribing some more challenging lead work a la Steve Lukather, through my JCM900 with minor tweaks. My fear is that I could end up disappearing down some flux-fume-induced wormhole and spend my whole time wondering if I did it right and whether it sounds 'just like the pro's ones'.

But you know what, I've been looking at the Mojotone kit and for the price it would be a more sensible option than buying a used reissue with a PCB and maybe I should shut up and build the damn thing already.

Thumbs Up/Down
    You know, building one makes a lot of sense but...

I'm first and foremost a player, and tinkerer/modder/amateur repairman second, and I've found that my playing has really suffered due to too much time spent endlessly tweaking stuff trying to obtain some 'grail tone'. Lately I've been playing a lot more and getting back into transcribing some more challenging lead work a la Steve Lukather, through my JCM900 with minor tweaks. My fear is that I could end up disappearing down some flux-fume-induced wormhole and spend my whole time wondering if I did it right and whether it sounds 'just like the pro's ones'.

But you know what, I've been looking at the Mojotone kit and for the price it would be a more sensible option than buying a used reissue with a PCB and maybe I should shut up and build the damn thing already.
    I get that. We're kind of in the same boat. I'm a player too (not a good one) and playing and recording is my main focus. I play in three original bands and do a lot of recording of myself, my band projects, and other people. I've got a wall of Marshalls and cabs...but had no Fender amp. I obviously needed "Fender amp tone" in my stable. I also wanted to build something because I'd never done it before. The need and the want combined to make the build no-brainer. An AB763 was maybe a little ambitious for a first project but that's what I wanted. I'm big into garage rock psychosurfabilly type music and tones, and IMO that Fender circuit is perfect for that sound. Sure, I could have just bought an amp, but I wanted the project. And I'm super happy I did it. It worked out great and my Deluxe Reverb head kit build is still going strong and gets used all the time. And I did a few little tweaks to make it my own and make it compatible with Marshall cabs. The feeling of making music with something I built with my own hands, and have it sound great, and not explode lol, is very rewarding. And it's admittedly a nice little ego stroke when other musicians wanna talk to me about it after they hear it live. "Man Greg, what is that amp you're playing?" "Well, let me tell ya....". It's awesome! LOL. It's inspired me to build more stuff, for sure, but it's also lit a new fire for making more music with the gear I build. I can't wait to get this reverb unit out into the real world. Maybe that could work for you too. Yes you might go down the wormhole, but when you come out you'll be chomping at the bit to play the hell out of your new build!

Thread Information