Mackie Mixer repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mackie Mixer repair

A singer I know gave me her Mackie mixer to repair. She uses a condenser microphone instead of a dynamic microphone. (Someone told her she should use a condenser microphone. Well I figure that she will drop the microphone and she will be back to using a dynamic microphone.)

So the problem was no phantom power to power her microphone (yet another disadvantage of condenser microphones). So I loaned her my two channel mixer and took a look at her mixer.

I was expecting something wrong with a voltage regulator or capacitor. The taps of the transformer all worked. I checked the switch and sure enough the switch was not working. BTW, on this model the switch is located on the back near the power switch and does not have an LED indicator light (dumb design). So the good news is it was an easy repair by replacing the switch. The bad news is I had to remove and reinstall about 100 screws, knobs, nuts/washers, etc. but I got it working.

BTW, I used a plastic rocker switch that I salvaged from a computer power supply.

Good job. Except for the griping about condensers! There are some good ones for vocals, e.g., Shure SM86, BETA 87A/C.
    --
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Oh don't get me wrong. Condenser mikes are excellent, but fragile....unlike dynamic mikes. I once was at a gig where the sound guy was using an SM58 to pound tacks in for the skirting in front of the stage. I bet he used that mike later in the show. Those mikes are indestructible. I think it is the law that SM58s must have a dented windscreen ball. ;-)

Comment

I have stocked a lot more SM58 wind balls than I ever did cartridges for them.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

And 57 grille caps from being too close to the drums. But often they can be popped back on again (unless the little round spring clip gets lost).
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Axtman, please post mixer repair posts in the Music Electronics section, not under Guitar Amps.
            It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
              I think it is the law that SM58s must have a dented windscreen ball. ;-)
              SM58's also have to have red lipstick crammed into the windscreen, and stink like a mouthful of unbrushed teeth after a garlic festival.

Yes, a great idea to swap on a new ball every so often. How often I've seen the FNG on a pro sound crew assigned the task of scrubbing '58 screens then soaking 'em with Listerine. Also trying to gently wash the foam patch inside the screen, and half the time having it disintegrate.

Other than that, great mics! Practically indestructible. Shure hit a home run with this one.
              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Stinking mics are one thing, but to really descend into hell you need to work on in-ears. I've done a lot or cable replacements, internal repairs and clean-outs, but now would rather have my teeth out and go down to the docks to try to earn a living. I have the last ever ones in that I will ever touch again. We have a product called Hibiscrub that vets use to wash hands. you need it. The trouble is, some cost over £2000 and nobody wants to repair them.

Comment

When I worked at the music store, we had a small jeweller's shop down the mall a ways, and I used to take wind balls down to him and he steam cleaned them like he would rings and stuff.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Is there a way that I or the moderator can move this thread out of Guitar Amps and into Music Electronics?

A dented ball can be repaired. Take an old broom and cut off the broom end. Remove the metal mesh ball and insert the rounded wooded end. Pound the cut off end on floor while holding onto the ball. This will undent the the wind screen. Oh I forgot remove the foam inside the ball before this procedure.
                    Last edited by Axtman; 01-05-2020, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
                      A dented ball can be repaired. Take an old broom and cut off the broom end. Remove the metal mesh ball and insert the rounded wooded end. Pound the cut off end on floor while holding onto the ball. This will undent the the wind screen. Oh I forgot remove the foam inside the ball before this procedure.
                      Similar solution, I've seen it done then done it myself, with a screwdriver. Remove foam pad, bang out the dents from the inside with the rounded end of a screwdriver handle. Easier to find in my toolkit than a broom handle. But - I do like the broom handle (or shovel, etc) solution. Another indispensible tool that everyone should have in the bench tool kit.

Comment

I did something similar on my bench top. I had a favorite nut driver for the job.

Ax, don't worry about where you posted, just be aware in the future.

Comment

There was a rumour one of my instructors told me about Bryan Adams having in his rider than there be a brand new ball on his 58 for every set. Those things weren't cheap at the time (I believe there are knock-offs now). I always wondered what would have been done with those 'lightly used' ones.
                          Originally posted by Enzo
                          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                            There was a rumour one of my instructors told me about Bryan Adams having in his rider than there be a brand new ball on his 58 for every set. Those things weren't cheap at the time (I believe there are knock-offs now). I always wondered what would have been done with those 'lightly used' ones.
                            HA! I've met Bryan several times. Never knew about the '58 ball thing. Maybe he has a germ phobia, so what he can afford it. One kool thing, he often closed his set with Nick Lowe's "Seven Nights of Rock." Bryan gets my unconditional approval just for that. Like the 3 quads of used-for-one-show GE 6550A that Yngwie demanded to be replaced daily in his Marshalls (back in the day he was a big deal, sorta) I'm sure some smart roadie or stage tech glommed all the "lightly used" '58 windscreens.

I used to score new '58 screens from Parts Express $25 each (ow! but it's sometimes necessary.) Maybe they still have 'em, I dunno.

Comment

I used to buy them from SHure - as a dealer. Don't recall the cost.

I had some aerobic instructor clients. They used wireless headsets. I stocked bags full of the little foam balls to slip on the mic end. They bought them from me in bulk. Something about getting soaked in sweat.

Comment

Working...
                              X