Thread: Mackie Mixer repair

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 42/0
    Given: 2/0

Mackie Mixer repair

A singer I know gave me her Mackie mixer to repair. She uses a condenser microphone instead of a dynamic microphone. (Someone told her she should use a condenser microphone. Well I figure that she will drop the microphone and she will be back to using a dynamic microphone.)

So the problem was no phantom power to power her microphone (yet another disadvantage of condenser microphones). So I loaned her my two channel mixer and took a look at her mixer.

I was expecting something wrong with a voltage regulator or capacitor. The taps of the transformer all worked. I checked the switch and sure enough the switch was not working. BTW, on this model the switch is located on the back near the power switch and does not have an LED indicator light (dumb design). So the good news is it was an easy repair by replacing the switch. The bad news is I had to remove and reinstall about 100 screws, knobs, nuts/washers, etc. but I got it working.

BTW, I used a plastic rocker switch that I salvaged from a computer power supply.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 77/10
    Given: 81/0
    Good job. Except for the griping about condensers! There are some good ones for vocals, e.g., Shure SM86, BETA 87A/C.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    --
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Thumbs Up/Down
    Oh don't get me wrong. Condenser mikes are excellent, but fragile....unlike dynamic mikes. I once was at a gig where the sound guy was using an SM58 to pound tacks in for the skirting in front of the stage. I bet he used that mike later in the show. Those mikes are indestructible. I think it is the law that SM58s must have a dented windscreen ball. ;-)

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,031/7
    Given: 0/0
    I have stocked a lot more SM58 wind balls than I ever did cartridges for them.

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,800/24
    Given: 4,631/11
    And 57 grille caps from being too close to the drums. But often they can be popped back on again (unless the little round spring clip gets lost).

Just because they don't have tubes doesn't mean they don't have feelings! - glebert

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 571/0
    Given: 104/0
    Axtman, please post mixer repair posts in the Music Electronics section, not under Guitar Amps.

It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,489/21
    Given: 1,259/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Axtman View Post
    I think it is the law that SM58s must have a dented windscreen ball. ;-)
    SM58's also have to have red lipstick crammed into the windscreen, and stink like a mouthful of unbrushed teeth after a garlic festival.

Yes, a great idea to swap on a new ball every so often. How often I've seen the FNG on a pro sound crew assigned the task of scrubbing '58 screens then soaking 'em with Listerine. Also trying to gently wash the foam patch inside the screen, and half the time having it disintegrate.

Other than that, great mics! Practically indestructible. Shure hit a home run with this one.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Enjoy. Every. Sandwich.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 299/0
    Given: 41/0
    Stinking mics are one thing, but to really descend into hell you need to work on in-ears. I've done a lot or cable replacements, internal repairs and clean-outs, but now would rather have my teeth out and go down to the docks to try to earn a living. I have the last ever ones in that I will ever touch again. We have a product called Hibiscrub that vets use to wash hands. you need it. The trouble is, some cost over 2000 and nobody wants to repair them.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    When I worked at the music store, we had a small jeweller's shop down the mall a ways, and I used to take wind balls down to him and he steam cleaned them like he would rings and stuff.

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Is there a way that I or the moderator can move this thread out of Guitar Amps and into Music Electronics?

A dented ball can be repaired. Take an old broom and cut off the broom end. Remove the metal mesh ball and insert the rounded wooded end. Pound the cut off end on floor while holding onto the ball. This will undent the the wind screen. Oh I forgot remove the foam inside the ball before this procedure.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Axtman; 01-05-2020 at 08:47 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Axtman View Post
    A dented ball can be repaired. Take an old broom and cut off the broom end. Remove the metal mesh ball and insert the rounded wooded end. Pound the cut off end on floor while holding onto the ball. This will undent the the wind screen. Oh I forgot remove the foam inside the ball before this procedure.
    Similar solution, I've seen it done then done it myself, with a screwdriver. Remove foam pad, bang out the dents from the inside with the rounded end of a screwdriver handle. Easier to find in my toolkit than a broom handle. But - I do like the broom handle (or shovel, etc) solution. Another indispensible tool that everyone should have in the bench tool kit.

Enjoy. Every. Sandwich.

Thumbs Up/Down
    I did something similar on my bench top. I had a favorite nut driver for the job.

Ax, don't worry about where you posted, just be aware in the future.

Thumbs Up/Down
    There was a rumour one of my instructors told me about Bryan Adams having in his rider than there be a brand new ball on his 58 for every set. Those things weren't cheap at the time (I believe there are knock-offs now). I always wondered what would have been done with those 'lightly used' ones.

Just because they don't have tubes doesn't mean they don't have feelings! - glebert

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by g1 View Post
    There was a rumour one of my instructors told me about Bryan Adams having in his rider than there be a brand new ball on his 58 for every set. Those things weren't cheap at the time (I believe there are knock-offs now). I always wondered what would have been done with those 'lightly used' ones.
    HA! I've met Bryan several times. Never knew about the '58 ball thing. Maybe he has a germ phobia, so what he can afford it. One kool thing, he often closed his set with Nick Lowe's "Seven Nights of Rock." Bryan gets my unconditional approval just for that. Like the 3 quads of used-for-one-show GE 6550A that Yngwie demanded to be replaced daily in his Marshalls (back in the day he was a big deal, sorta) I'm sure some smart roadie or stage tech glommed all the "lightly used" '58 windscreens.

I used to score new '58 screens from Parts Express $25 each (ow! but it's sometimes necessary.) Maybe they still have 'em, I dunno.

Enjoy. Every. Sandwich.

Thumbs Up/Down
    I used to buy them from SHure - as a dealer. Don't recall the cost.

I had some aerobic instructor clients. They used wireless headsets. I stocked bags full of the little foam balls to slip on the mic end. They bought them from me in bulk. Something about getting soaked in sweat.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 319/0
    Given: 34/1
    Shure RK143G Replacement Mic Grille for SM58 (Wired and Wireless) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002GZOS0..._lRMeEbMN870C7

I use these a lot.. $8 free shipping usually.. For live vocals I like an SM58 Beta.. I hate it when some front has to use a condenser mic live. Always too hot.. always issues..

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by olddawg View Post
    Shure RK143G Replacement Mic Grille for SM58 (Wired and Wireless) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002GZOS0..._lRMeEbMN870C7

I use these a lot.. $8 free shipping usually.. For live vocals I like an SM58 Beta.. I hate it when some front has to use a condenser mic live. Always too hot.. always issues..
    Thanks for that link olddawg, gonna buy a handful of them.

And yes, condensers on vocals, not such a good thing live. Too much bandwidth. Don't need to go to 20 Hz nor up to 25K. Not every console has lowcut & hicut filters. I'm still a fan of the original '58. For me, the beta has too much sizzle 10-12 KHz, I gotta notch it out or else entertain all the bats & dogs for miles around with super high freq squeeks. Shure landed on a winner with the plain vanilla '58 as far as I'm concerned.

FWIW one day I got to A/B regular SM58 with the venerable 55S "JFK" mic. Surprisingly near identical, the 55S a tad mellow in the high end, perfect for acts presenting "legacy" music from the 40's 50's & early 60's.

Here ya go Elvis:

Rust & corrosion, so what, it's still a classic.

Enjoy. Every. Sandwich.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Wow, I can't believe how much the price of those 58 balls has dropped. I bet I can guess where they are having them made though.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 319/0
    Given: 34/1
    From what I understand the “basic” design of the transducer/element is pretty much the same. I’m pretty sure 57 and 58s are the same.. the difference being the pattern. I have a bunch of Behringer XM5800s. They aren’t quite a 58.. but for $15 apiece with a case and mic holder, they can’t be beat and have steel bodies too.

Last edited by olddawg; 01-06-2020 at 02:33 AM.

Thread Information