Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help reading transistor IDs on a blurry SWR schematic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading transistor IDs on a blurry SWR schematic.

Can you please help me identify the following transistors?

Here is what I think that I see:

Q1: MPSA06
    Q2: 2N5416
    Q3: 2SC4302
    Q4: 2SC2837
    Q5: TIP29A
    Q6: MPSA56
    Q7: MPSA56
    Q8: 2SC4302
    Q9: 2SA1668
    Q10: 2SC2837

BTW, I have "repaired" this amp before and it quit working so I cannot trust that I used the correct transistors.
    Attached Files

The only one's I can't fully agree with are Q3 and Q8 as you have them 2sc4302. I read them as 2sc4382 instead. If you type in google "2sc4382 complementary pair" you will have a match with SANKEN 2SA1668 & 2SC4382 200V 2A 25W Transistor. That make sense to me that 4382 and 1668 are complementary pairs. Look at the A06 typed font on the schematic and it has a zero then compare all the 8's that could fool you as 0's.

Edit: Also look at another version of that amp. Clearly 2sc4382.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-01-05 13-55-37.png
Views:	1
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	856423
    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Agree on the 2SC4382.
      This drawing is mostly the same, a few different parts but uses the 2SC4382 also.
      Attached Files
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

2SC4382
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

See! This is why I keep you guys around.

Thanks.

Comment

FYI Most SWR amps use the infamous Sanken 2SC3264 output transistors. This amp does not.

If I was really industrious I could drill four holes in the chassis and mount two of those output transistors. Would there be any real advantage to doing this modification?

Comment

Prolly not.

By the way, I only have ONE 2SC3264 left in stock. It's real live Sanken, but lonely.

Hmmm, I do have three of the 2SC2837.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks Enzo but I just ordered parts from DigiKey because I needed a few other components.

Comment

Oh, I am not trying to sell parts, just letting it be known when I have some maybe not so common anymore part.

Comment

I got the amp working. It's amazing what happens when you install the correct parts! ;-)

FYI, even though this amp is an SWR California Blonde, it uses the same circuit topolgy as the Workingman 12 amp.

Comment

SWR used a sort of Mix-N-Match design philosophy. They used some of their standard circuits in multiple models.

Comment

I agree. I have worked on a few SWR amps and they are all basically the same.

Comment

Working...
                        X