Intermitent 2 seconds lack of sound - Fender FM212R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermitent 2 seconds lack of sound - Fender FM212R

Hello forum, I have a Fender FM212R amplifier which has an intermittent problem of cutting the sound for 2 seconds after 30 minutes of use. After the first cut happens, successively others occur each 5 to 10 minutes. I sent it to the technical assistance for 3 times and the problem persists. I would be glad if someone could give me a tip how to proceed.

I find this kind of intermittent and short duration problems to be some of the most frustrating to diagnose. It sound like it is somewhat repeatable, though, which is better than something completely random, and 2 seconds is not impossibly short. I usually try to figure out if the problem is in the preamp or the power amp. You have an effects loop on this amp, so you could send the "preamp out" to some other amp or mixing board. When the FM212r cuts out you can see if the sound is still coming out of other device. If so that means the preamp is OK and the problem is "after" that. If everything cuts out at once the problem is in the preamp. Similarly you can take a line level from some other amp or mixer and put it into the "power amp in" on the FM212r and play it for 30+ minutes and see if it cuts out at all to test the power amp section by itself.

Once you get beyond that though it will likely mean having to open up the amp. Is this something that you are planning on trying to fix yourself? Since you sent it in for service before I am just trying to gauge your level of experience and comfort working on electronics.

Schematic in post #4 of this thread (https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ad.php?t=15209).

Comment

This is just a WAG (Wild Ass Guess). The FM212 has a Mute circuit. It appears that it only acts on the power amp. It also appears that it is only (supposed to be) activated when the amp is turned on. That leads us to the most common problem with these amps, fractured solder connections on the PCB. Such a problem is usually sensitive to mechanical shock, so give the amp a good jolt next time it occurs.
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Another guess, it could be a fractured solder joint around the input jacks or the power amp in jack. These also have something to do with the Mute circuit.
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Working...
        X