Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koch Power Transformer

Hello!

I have repair a Koch Jupiter 45 a month ago. The amp came with the transformer HT tap with only 10VAC ( it should be 250VAC ).

This amp has two 12ax7 on the pre amp section and two mosfets on the power section.

I have send an email requesting a quote for the transformer and since they didnt bother answer me i send it to a shop for a rewinding.

After one month playing with it, the same thing as happen again. this time 50VAC on the HT so i send it again for repair.

My question is;
    Do you think the circuit has a fault that is pulling a large amont of current of the transformer?
    Or it was just a bad winding?

Thanks

i guess there is a fault in the power section and there is not an adequate protection via fuse or other.
    When powering an amp you have to apply voltage gradually and monitor current.

Comment

The voltage was applied gradually and everything was fine during a month playing.

Comment

two mosfets on the power section
        I mean, on the output section

Comment

I really need some help on this.

I send the transformer once again for a rewinding ( same shop ).

I put a smaller fuse on the HT tap, connected the amp to a load while monitoring the output and the voltage on the B+.
          I let the amp about 1 hour on the load, everything looked ok, so i was about to turn off the amp, immediately after i pull the jack with the signal the B+ drop to 70v.

It happen again,

What may be causing this?

Comment

Can you post a schematic?
            Are the mosfets running off the same HT?
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I can't find the schematic.
              The mosfets are running on other transformer tap.

Comment

Does that (other) tap remain working when the HT tap goes bad?
                Last edited by g1; 01-28-2020, 10:29 PM.
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yes.
                  Only the HT stops working.

Comment

Maybe bad diodes or filter caps in HT supply?

Comment

Before connecting the transformer i replaced the diodes ( just to be sure, they were ok ), check solder joints and the resistors around the tubes.

The capacitors seem ok to me. I thought replacing it but i didnt do it.

While testing, i replaced the fuse ( 160ma to a 100ma ). I guess if the circuit was pulling to much current, the fuse will blow??

Comment

The fuse should be designed to blow to protect the winding, but I'm not sure of the value. You would not need a 100 or 160mA winding to run a preamp tube or 2. So it's possible the winding would be over-stressed before the fuse blew.
                        I would replace those HT filter caps anyway.
                        But I also think you should try a phone call to them directly in Netherlands. They should be able to tell you whether there have been any problems with those transformers. http://www.koch-amps.com/koch-amps-contact.html

Comment

I will try to contact them and replace the caps.
                          Hope they will answer me

Comment

I have talk to them ( koch ) on the phone. They said its very strange. Its not a usual thing like this to happen

Comment

Maybe the guy who did the rewind could tell you the current capacity of that winding?

Comment

Working...
                              X