Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

just got a vintage Conn vacuum tube StroboTuner as a restore project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just got a vintage Conn vacuum tube StroboTuner as a restore project.

So, I was looking for some salvage in the shop basement for a particular repair I had going on, and I came across this cool little piece of gear. It was tucked away on a shelf and I saw it out of the corner of my eye. I was surprised to see that Conn (or anyone) made a tube type strobe tuner.
    I showed to my boss, and he was very quick to give it to me and tell me to take it away. I'm pretty sure he was just happy to have one less piece of equipment in the place.
    I didn't know what kind of condition the unit would be in, or what I would find when I opened up the enclosure, but I figured it was a nice panel and chassis for any number of build projects at the very least. When I took it in the garage to see what I was getting into, I could tell by the layers of dust and oxidization on the finish that it had been sitting in the basement for many years. It needs a thorough cleaning. The top of the chassis holding the transformers, can capacitors, tubes, and strobe components were in the same condition as the outside. However, the underside of the chassis which holds the circuit components, and wiring is in fantastic visual condition. So, I might take it on and restore the unit if it's worth it (I have not powered it on yet, or tested it's operation). Here are some photos:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Conn Vacuum Tube StroboTuner Front.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	876231

Name:	Conn Vacuum Tube StroboTuner Top.jpg
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	876232

Name:	Conn Vacuum Tube StroboTuner Chassis-1.jpg
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	876233

Name:	Conn Vacuum Tube StroboTuner Chassis-2.jpg
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	876234

Name:	Conn Vacuum Tube StroboTuner components-2.jpg
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	876235

Name:	Conn Vacuum Tube StroboTuner components-1.jpg
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	876236

I'm looking for a bit of advise on one aspect of the restore. If you see the photo of the top for the unit, where the leather strap handle is, you get a pretty good visual of it's condition. What are the best techniques and products available to remove the build up and restore the finish to it's original condition (or as close as possible)? This is an area where I don't have much experience and do not want to risk any damage.
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

The big black caps with color code stripes are probably leaky by now. They are paper caps.

Looks like an ST2 or maybe ST8

These are compact, Conn previously made the 6T5 12-wheel strobe tuner. CHock full of tubes. A big two section unit.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Ditto on the paper caps. Looks like a good refurb project.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Except for a a curiosity why bother?... A Snark probably works better..

Comment

Challenge, pride, interest, experience in something new, etc.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
            Except for a a curiosity why bother?... A Snark probably works better..
            Yeah I have no interest in using it.
            I’d be restoring it because it’s a very cool and interesting piece of history, And all of the stuff the dude said.

edit & correction: "...and for al the stuff Enzo said."

While we know he certainly is a dude, he is not the dude.... so much for trying to read on my phone.
            Last edited by SoulFetish; 01-11-2020, 07:44 AM.
            If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Great looking pictures.
              Cool Tool!
              T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

I bet there are piano tuners that still use and swear by these.
                I guess no mic included with this one?
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                  I bet there are piano tuners that still use and swear by these.
                  I guess no mic included with this one?
                  No mic. Im wondering if this at some point had a removable front cover? It looks like there was a spot for one

Comment

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. The ST8 pics I saw have a removable cover with a mic in there.

Name:	wnk0lsclxazdeglfmjdx.jpg
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	856472
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Years ago at an auction I bought a Strobotuner 6T for dirt cheap. It had a 2X6L6 amplifier driving a tuning fork for the frequency standard.
                      Unfortunately when I got it home I found the compartment for the microphone was empty and I realized the auction house had separated the
                      mic and sold it separately. The thing was useless to me anyway. I don't remember what happened to it but it was a cool looking thing.

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...1&d=1578793952
                      Attached Files

Comment

6T5

I have several of those, one set even works. When I worked at the music store I saw tons of them, coming in from all the high school music programs.

They are cool in that they have 12 wheels, one for each note of the octave, and all are spinning all the time. No switching, play a note and the proper wheel will sync in. Mine has four 6V6 driving the spin motor.

Comment

I had the ST-3, maybe an earlier version. For all I know I might still have it, stuffed away in some corner, knowing how I hate to throw anything out.

Comment

Neil Young had a row of strobe tuners set up on stage at one time. One doubled up for both E strings and the other four were set to ADGB.

Comment

Working...
                            X