Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Screws the Screws?

Twobie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Who Screws the Screws?

Has anyone come across a pedal with screws so tight it seems like they were glued in place?

I recently got a great audio interface made by Orange but it suddenly went bad. When I tried to open it up the screws absolutely would not budge. Any advice?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,772/4
    Given: 3,249/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Looselectronics View Post
    Has anyone come across a pedal with screws so tight it seems like they were glued in place?

I recently got a great audio interface made by Orange but it suddenly went bad. When I tried to open it up the screws absolutely would not budge. Any advice?
    Heat them by sticking the tip of your soldering iron on the head. If they were CA'd in place that'll help crack them loose. Otherwise it will expand the metal and temporarily tighten them. But then they'll often break easier once they cool. And I'm bad about this because I don't replace my tools often enough, but a new phillips head screw driver will grab a lot more secure in the head than a rounded old one giving you more ability to force the matter without damage to the screw.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Chuck H; 01-14-2020 at 01:54 AM.
    "In fact when I run into problems working on electronic circuirts, there are so many times that when I finally track it down, the source of the problem is located between my soldering iron and my seat." SoulFetish

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,162/7
    So many tricks of the trade...

Sometimes tightening a screw ever so slightly will crack it free, then you can back it out.

SOmetimes Tapping the handle end of your driver as you apply some turn will start it loose.

Put your driver in the head, and hold a solder iron against it near the top to apply heat to the screw.

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,406/1
    Given: 1,059/1
    I've run into this before- even worse when someone has stripped the heads out leaving you nothing to grab onto. I'll take a dremel tool and grind a slot in the screw head(s) and use a straight slot screwdriver to get them out. Then, just toss them and install new ones when you reassemble it.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 475/0
    Given: 1,259/1
    Chuck beat me to the 'size matters' point, but it bears repeating. It only took me 30 years to realize that a properly-sized screwdriver in a well-made (not junk) screw will fit with absolutely no gap; the firm contact allows much more torque to be applied without fear of stripping. Otherwise the screw gets turned into a tiny metal martini glass.

Once you've sized the screwdriver to the application and still no joy, the heat* treatment can work a treat!

edit: *or other

If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    Done that many times^^^

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Thumbs Up/Down
    esch makes a good point too.

Not all crosspoint drivers are phillips. Phillips do come in sizes, and folks way often use too small a size. But there are also posidrive, and Reed-Prince (Frearson). There is also a Japanese standard I forget the name of. It LOOKS like a phillips, but is not. It has a little dot next to the hole. We see it often in the machine screws in Japanese products.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,947/24
    Given: 4,918/11
    I have one of those impact drivers that you tap on with a hammer, but it's not great for smaller stuff.
    I sometimes use a bit, held by mini-visegrip, and tap with a small hobby hammer as I apply turning pressure.

One thing I did come across, which I don't suspect for your Orange product, was fake screws molded into a plastic casing.

"Everything is better with a tube. I have a customer with an all-tube pacemaker. His heartbeat is steady, reassuring and dependable, not like a modern heartbeat. And if it goes wrong he can fix it himself. You can't do that with SMD." - Mick Bailey

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    esch makes a good point too.

Not all crosspoint drivers are phillips. Phillips do come in sizes, and folks way often use too small a size. But there are also posidrive, and Reed-Prince (Frearson). There is also a Japanese standard I forget the name of. It LOOKS like a phillips, but is not. It has a little dot next to the hole. We see it often in the machine screws in Japanese products.
    I have a few phillips-head drivers that I ground the tip off of so that they would fit 'better' in a Reed-Prince screw. Saved my butt many times.

I have a hunch that many of the screws in the offshore equipment I ran into (mostly in the 80s, 90s) were fabricated by the same folks who made the imported sockets, etc., found in K-Mart and others. Close to being in tolerance, but not close enough to actually work as designed.

MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    There is also a Japanese standard I forget the name of. It LOOKS like a phillips, but is not. It has a little dot next to the hole. We see it often in the machine screws in Japanese products.
    I always wondered what the heck that was about. Fortunately the Japanese seem to use good quality metal for the screws so I haven't had a problem with yet

"In fact when I run into problems working on electronic circuirts, there are so many times that when I finally track it down, the source of the problem is located between my soldering iron and my seat." SoulFetish

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by eschertron View Post
    I have a few phillips-head drivers that I ground the tip off of so that they would fit 'better' in a Reed-Prince screw. Saved my butt many times.

I have a hunch that many of the screws in the offshore equipment I ran into (mostly in the 80s, 90s) were fabricated by the same folks who made the imported sockets, etc., found in K-Mart and others. Close to being in tolerance, but not close enough to actually work as designed.
    Wow! This goes deep. I thought the stuff that didn't fit was just crappy stuff. Ya' know, because that happens. I didn't know there wasn't a standard for cross point screws because I've NEVER seen a reference to one other than the standard Phillips.?.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 592/3
    Given: 307/0

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 596/4
    Given: 308/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
    I thought the stuff that didn't fit was just crappy stuff. Ya' know, because that happens. I didn't know there wasn't a standard for cross point screws because I've NEVER seen a reference to one other than the standard Phillips.?.
    Orange cross head screws are probably Pozidriv therefore a Pozidriv bit should be used not a Phillips. A Phillips bit will fit in a Pozidriv screw but slips out before it's fully tight.

Phillips on the left, Posidriv on the right
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	021254038-phillips_xlg-700x603.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	56630

Last edited by Dave H; 01-14-2020 at 03:30 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    When I first noticed the dot on Japanese screws I thought it just meant metric, but I later learned their driver is shaped different.

Oh Chuck, there is a world of screw slots out there. Decades ago I learned the difference between Bristol and Spline, and took an interest in the subject. When I was in the coin-operated amusements world, I added security screws to my "hobby". We all should know clutch heads from old Ampeg.

Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

Thumbs Up/Down
    Well, yes. But I always thought the obviously odd shaped cross screws were just rare and odd. "You gotta buy a special tool for that". I don't do repairs so it never came up often enough to matter, much. Though there have been times when it did and I was at a loss I managed somehow. But to learn that probably 30% of the problematic "Phillips" screws I've encountered weren't even Phillips and that there was a proper fitting tool is absolutely news to me. I never thought the ratio could be that high.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
    A Phillips bit will fit in a Pozidriv screw but slips out before it's fully tight.

Interesting. I'd always assumed that they were the same except for the extra smaller ribs. If that were the case, the phillips still shouldn't slip out of the pozidriv.
    But your close up photo shows that the main ribs of the phillips are tapered (toward the tip), where the pozidriv are not.

"Everything is better with a tube. I have a customer with an all-tube pacemaker. His heartbeat is steady, reassuring and dependable, not like a modern heartbeat. And if it goes wrong he can fix it himself. You can't do that with SMD." - Mick Bailey

Thumbs Up/Down
    They are all so similar, most of the time, at least for light work, the "wrong" driver will work. And threads are threads, so a 3mm one type will replace a 3mm of another. SOmetimes I find a rounded out head on a screw, and one of my "wrong" drivers will grip it better.

Thumbs Up/Down
    SOmetimes I find a rounded out head on a screw, and one of my "wrong" drivers will grip it better.
    My 'go to' for that is usually a Robertson (red, green, or yellow) and a hammer.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 412/0
    Given: 67/0
    US thread sizes are relatively uncommon over here in the UK and a regular thing is to force a metric screw into a threaded hole and it gets jammed. If the screw is poor quality it can either break or the slot deform. Another gripe is screws that strip on their way out. Chinese Vox amps sometimes do this, even when taking utmost care. Another gripe is where someone has put together a guitar and not drilled pilot holes for the screws and chewed up the heads so they won't come out. Or worse, broken off and they bring the guitar to me to sort out.

I just did a pickup repair where the coil is partly exposed (Nocaster). The owner had caught the winding when fitting it. I fixed it, re-potted it and supplied new screws. He'd originally fitted it with the screws angled outward and I advised him to plug and re-drill the holes correctly. He didn't do this and managed to destroy one of the screw heads so it would neither screw in or out. So, he taped up the pickup and used a Dremel to cut through the tape and winding in an attempt to remove the screw. Then pulled off the tape along with more wire. Along with that, the flatwork got bent away from the pole pieces. Steel screws, Dremels and pickups are an unhealthy combination anyhow.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,082/1
    Given: 1,186/2
    With somewhat worn screwheads a (well fitting) screwdriver with a diamond coated tip can help to avoid slippage and further damage.
    That's what I prefer to use on vintage instruments.

When lots of torque are required angled screwdrivers can be helpful.

Name:	IMG_0297.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	616.8 KB 
ID:	56640

Last edited by Helmholtz; 01-14-2020 at 05:55 PM.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
    Orange cross head screws are probably Pozidriv therefore a Pozidriv bit should be used not a Phillips. A Phillips bit will fit in a Pozidriv screw but slips out before it's fully tight.

Someone once regaled me with the story on posidriv screws, something about manufacturers and suppliers angling for exclusivity with the automakers, I think. That's why there are so many types of screw head designs.

But I turned 60 over the weekend, and now can't remember anything anybody has ever told me. sigh.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmholtz View Post

Or a ratchet with a bit holder socket. Then you can push down on the head with one hand while applying turning pressure with the other.

Twobie
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Schooled! You guys are awesome. I had no idea screwing was such a varied and interest topic filled with tools of so many shapes and sizes.

I tried again with a shorter L-shaped two-way driver with a different bit made of a better material that fit more snuggly. That gave me the additional torque I needed to loosen the stubborn screws, though I damaged the heads and my wrist in the process. All that just to find the guts of the pedal are SMD wrapped in a PITA. I guess I'll just buy a new one after all...

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Looselectronics View Post
    Schooled! You guys are awesome. I had no idea screwing was such a varied and interest topic filled with tools of so many shapes and sizes.

I tried again with a shorter L-shaped two-way driver with a different bit made of a better material that fit more snuggly. That gave me the additional torque I needed to loosen the stubborn screws, though I damaged the heads and my wrist in the process. All that just to find the guts of the pedal are SMD wrapped in a PITA. I guess I'll just buy a new one after all...
    Well I can't give a guy a "thumbsdown" for posting this. But the idea would have been that this is a bummer.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 473/1
    Given: 407/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmholtz View Post
    With somewhat worn screwheads a (well fitting) screwdriver with a diamond coated tip can help to avoid slippage and further damage.
    That's what I prefer to use on vintage instruments.

Name:	IMG_0297.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	616.8 KB 
ID:	56640
    That top screwdriver look like a Wera. Kraftform Stainless, right?
    I've heard some great reports on their quality from trusted friends. I've been looking at getting a set of Hex Plus from them.

If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    That top screwdriver look like a Wera.
    Yes, German brand Wera with diamond coated tip.

- Own Opinions Only -

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 111/1
    Given: 256/1
    Just saw that Lee Valley has diamond-coated bits https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...16-diamond-tip

Made in Germany, so likely Wera brand as they do carry some of their tools. Too bad, I was just there yesterday and I could have picked up a couple.

That being said, a dedicated screwdriver would be nicer. The Wera handles are really good for being able to transmit a lot of torque easily.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    I have some Kamasa diamond coated bits in Phillips and JIS. Really good performance and have been as durable as the Wera ones.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 592/3
    Given: 307/0
    Here is a good history on the 'Phillips' screwdriver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-mDqKtivuI

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 562/1
    Given: 487/2
    The Wera diamond coated posidrive bits were my choice for hex drivers (manual and electric) a while ago, but I came to the view that they still wore out and so worked out rather expensive. I tried a 25 box of regular DeWalt posi bits for half the price of a single Wera bit and found that each bit seemed to give almost as good a life and performance as Wera, I'm not even halfway through them yet. As soon as one gets even slightly rounded I can just replace it, whereas I was trying to carry on using the Wera bits long after they should have been replaced, due to their cost.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    I avoid using an electric drill on delicate equipment. Each single slippage wears the edges of the bit and the screw head - increasing the risk for future slippage. Using a fitting manual diamond coated screwdriver allows me to (almost) completely avoid slippage. I have had this Wera screwdriver for over 10 years now - but I only use it where required. A screwdriver that never slipped lasts forever.

Last edited by Helmholtz; 01-15-2020 at 11:32 PM.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 562/1
    Given: 487/2
    Yes, totally agree, manual only for delicate stuff.
    To my shame I lack sufficient organisation / discipline, tools get used for general DIY service as required.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    +1.

I never use an electric driver around anything delicate either. I have an old Gordon (Sheffield) driver that takes bits, though I do prefer a dedicated screwdriver overall.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 596/4
    Given: 308/0
    Yes, electric drill drivers are great for building stud walls and putting up plasterboard where you have hundreds of screws to drive but I would never use an electric driver on electronics. A manual posi driver lasts for ever because it never slips. I'm not sure about Phillips as they were designed to slip (cam out). I like the way posidriv screws stay attached to the bit even when horizontal so you only need one hand to insert them.

Thumbs Up/Down
    There is a big difference between an electric drill and a real cordless screwdriver. Not sure which you are all speaking of.
    My cordless screwdriver has a lock, so I can manually start the screws, then power out the rest of the way. It also has a pivot, so it can be straight like a regular screw driver, or pistol style depending on the pivot setting.
    Most electric drills are quite cumbersome, the battery type usually have a huge battery on the bottom. Not good as screwdrivers.

I got a real nice Snap-on ratcheting screw driver long ago. The Phillips bits have little barbs on the fins to prevent slippage. Does anyone know what these kind of bits are called?

Thread Information