No announcement yet.

Who Screws the Screws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I avoid using an electric drill on delicate equipment. Each single slippage wears the edges of the bit and the screw head - increasing the risk for future slippage. Using a fitting manual diamond coated screwdriver allows me to (almost) completely avoid slippage. I have had this Wera screwdriver for over 10 years now - but I only use it where required. A screwdriver that never slipped lasts forever.
    Last edited by Helmholtz; 01-15-2020, 09:32 PM.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Yes, totally agree, manual only for delicate stuff.
      To my shame I lack sufficient organisation / discipline, tools get used for general DIY service as required.
      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

+1.

I never use an electric driver around anything delicate either. I have an old Gordon (Sheffield) driver that takes bits, though I do prefer a dedicated screwdriver overall.

Comment

Yes, electric drill drivers are great for building stud walls and putting up plasterboard where you have hundreds of screws to drive but I would never use an electric driver on electronics. A manual posi driver lasts for ever because it never slips. I'm not sure about Phillips as they were designed to slip (cam out). I like the way posidriv screws stay attached to the bit even when horizontal so you only need one hand to insert them.

Comment

There is a big difference between an electric drill and a real cordless screwdriver. Not sure which you are all speaking of.
            My cordless screwdriver has a lock, so I can manually start the screws, then power out the rest of the way. It also has a pivot, so it can be straight like a regular screw driver, or pistol style depending on the pivot setting.
            Most electric drills are quite cumbersome, the battery type usually have a huge battery on the bottom. Not good as screwdrivers.

I got a real nice Snap-on ratcheting screw driver long ago. The Phillips bits have little barbs on the fins to prevent slippage. Does anyone know what these kind of bits are called?
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
              There is a big difference between an electric drill and a real cordless screwdriver. Not sure which you are all speaking of.
              My cordless screwdriver has a lock, so I can manually start the screws, then power out the rest of the way. It also has a pivot, so it can be straight like a regular screw driver, or pistol style depending on the pivot setting.
              Most electric drills are quite cumbersome, the battery type usually have a huge battery on the bottom. Not good as screwdrivers.

I got a real nice Snap-on ratcheting screw driver long ago. The Phillips bits have little barbs on the fins to prevent slippage. Does anyone know what these kind of bits are called?
              ACR I believe, can you see the ACR markings on the side hex bit?

Anti Cam Removal? Ribs?

https://toolguyd.com/anti-cam-out-sc...-tips-aco-acr/
              If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
              I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

I dunno, I just looked up Phillips with barbs, and now I know more about Barb Phillips than I ever wanted to know.
                If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

I've got a nice dedicated screwdriver that takes the wrist-breaking out of removing (for example) 38 x 1 1/2" screws from the back of a bass cab that I did a few weeks ago. It also has a predictable and repeatable torque setting so is useful for tightening speakers evenly, though I also have a low-reading torque driver. On guitars and other stuff though I like more feel, especially that turn backwards on plastic enclosures or with wood screws to feel the thread drop into its engagement point and avoiding cutting another thread.

Like anything else, it comes down to what you're used to and what works given your own experience and techniques. When I managed a team I used to see work being done that wasn't the way I'd personally do it, but the individuals were getting the same results so I'd support them in their chosen methods that clearly worked for them.

Comment

Originally posted by galaxiex View Post
                    ACR I believe, can you see the ACR markings on the side hex bit?
                    That's them, thank you!
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

That's them, thank you!
                      Welcome!

I have the same Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver (actually a couple of them, one in Pink!)
                      They came with the ACR bits and the Snap-On dealer made a point of pointing them out to me.
                      I bought those screwdrivers a long time ago, back when they first came out.

Still use them, although I did have to get one of them repaired (under warranty).
                      If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
                      I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

Working...
                      X